Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darthmaynard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2008
CT
Hi all,

I recently started using the imovie app (v. 4.0.1) and liked it. I was thinking of upgrading to v. 6 (HD) which gets rave reviews. I've heard all about imovie 08 and its limitations but was encouraged by the free iMovie HD download from Apple that you get when you purchase the iLife 08.

My question concerns the other apps in the suite. As a musician and guitar teacher, I like using GarageBand (v. 1.1) for simple stuff (i.e. reference and sketches and recording students). But what I need to know is whether GB '08 includes all the good stuff from GB3 or not. I would assume this to be true but after what Apple did to iMovie from '06 to '08, I'm not so sure.

Of course, I use the iPhoto, but haven't really delved into all of it's features other than using it to catalog pics as I have CS2.

The iWeb looked interesting as I'd like to update my site. I've been using html and I know we've come a bit further than that.

I haven't really checked into the iDVD portion as I have yet to use the app.

I've tried getting the iLife 06 off of ebay but the bidding got to be more than iLife 08 retail

So to sum up:

Is it worth it to get the iLife 08 full install from Apple knowing I'll get iMovieHD, but also all the features of GarageBand 3 in GarageBand 08?

Any advice is appreciated,

Tim

darthmaynard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2008
CT
:mad:
What nobody? Well, I'll answer my own post if anybody should ever care to ask this question. The answer, I've found out from around the web and folks using this suite, is that ilife 08 is an improvement overall despite the dumbing down of iMovie 08. You get the good stuff of 06HD via free download from Apple and an easy youtube version in the 08 version. Supposedly all the other features are an improvement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.