iLife 08

daneoni

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
Was just curious, if i were to buy a MacBook Pro say tomorrow and iLife was released on Tuesday would i be eligible to get it free under the bundling with mac act? or would i still have to buy it?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Usually a product such as iLife or OSX is announced for release a little while before the actual release. Historically it is the machines sold in the interim between announcement and actual release, who are eligible for free or cheap upgrades. :)

BrickBass

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2007
Hello,

Long time lurker, first time poster :)

I was wondering the same thing.

I recently ordered a macbook pro, and it is currently estimated to ship between the 10th and the 15th of august. If the new iLife is announced on the 7th, would I be able to get the new version for free, or would it cost me? I "bought" it before the announcement, but I will be receiving it afterwards. How does it usually work with that kind of stuff?

TsuaSai

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2006
TX
Crap never even thought to wait. My sister and I just bought macbooks and they should be here today. Hope we can get a upgrade with something comes out. Just spent all that money would be nice to have the newest thing out.

She bought hers thought Apple and I got mine though MacMall would have cause any problem in me getting an upgrade too? If they were to come out.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68030
May 18, 2004
Usually a product such as iLife or OSX is announced for release a little while before the actual release. Historically it is the machines sold in the interim between announcement and actual release, who are eligible for free or cheap upgrades. :)
while EVERYBODY would love a free upgrade, it's unlikely for those who've bought before the release date is announced......what mad jew said above is the way it usually works out

looking4anotebo

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2007
Ya, I really don't understand the people pulling the trigger on a new computer right now. I am waiting until next week, and I feel I have a good chance at landing ilife 08 and probably leopard upgrades for cheap.

StealthRider

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2002
Here and there!
Ya, I really don't understand the people pulling the trigger on a new computer right now. I am waiting until next week, and I feel I have a good chance at landing ilife 08 and probably leopard upgrades for cheap.
I need a working machine by the 27th, and I'm buying a MBP, which may not arrive until the 20th. That's a pretty good reason to buy now IMO.

OP: I think, if your order ships after the release of new software, you should be eligible for a free or discounted (usually $19.99) copy.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
I need a working machine by the 27th, and I'm buying a MBP, which may not arrive until the 20th. That's a pretty good reason to buy now IMO.

OP: I think, if your order ships after the release of new software, you should be eligible for a free or discounted (usually $19.99) copy.
Hopefully this is the case.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
yeah, my girlfriend is probably getting a macbook either tomorrow or the next day (tax free), and a nano also. but we'll see what happens tuesday. if iLife is shipping on tuesday, or in stores, then we might get it at a discount, but if it's just announced, then probably not.