iLife '09: Anybody go back to iMovie '06?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Khryz, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Khryz macrumors 6502a

I don't have iLife '09 since I still have iLife '06, but what held me back from buying '08 was iMovie and now with '09 I was just wondering if people are still going back to the '06 version?

I've read a few reviews that make iMovie '09 out to be only slightly better than the '08 version and that people are going back to '06.

Any comments? Are the main features they stripped from '08 back in '09 that was in the '06 version for the most part?

2. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

It depends on what you want to do. If you have a load of plug-ins for iMovie 06 then you may still have a few features not in 09. I loved 08 but then I could just load the file into FCP if I wanted to take it much further. iMovie 08 was so fast to put stuff together it just made me rethink how much time it was wise to spend on non-professional projects (basically I saved a lot of time by keeping things simple). Of course you may have higher demands and I would say check out the new features in iMovie 09 as they seem to fill many of the gaps left by 08.

I'm still trying them all out. Today I discovered 'Window > Viewer on Secondary Display'. This is a stunning feature, leaving all your tools and media on your primary display while filling a secondary display with your video.

3. Parental macrumors member

the only thing i complain about imovie 09 is the audio level settings and the impossibilty to install plugins.

but imovie 09 is a very easy and quite powerfull video editor.

4. Khryz thread starter macrumors 6502a

What do you mean plug-ins? I haven't done anything to my '06 version.

I just like it because of the timeline editor.

5. Parental macrumors member

i think that iMovie 06 and iMovie 08/09 are two completely different software the first is dedicated to a medium/high consumer the second to a low/medium consumer (for the pros FCE or something like this).
    i think they run parallelly beacause for something imovie06 is better for other not.
    i am a medium consumer in editing video but i find interentesting the way of make movie of imovie 09.is very easy and some time very powerfull (precision editor looks very good, the clip reducer is also a big step, effects in real time ecc) and some time very irritating (the lack of audio level settings and regolations at first).
    i will keep my imovie 06 on my computer but my default video editor now is imovie 09.

6. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

Go here... http://www.geethree.com for some cool plugins. Hope they make them for 09.