iLife 09, is it worth the cost?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SophBleep, Mar 23, 2010.

1. SophBleep macrumors newbie

SophBleep

I want iLife 09 badly but is it really worth it? Should I be paying the money to upgrade from iLife 08 to 09? Is it worth it or should I maybe wait for iLife 10 if there is one coming out? Should I just stick with what I have got?

SophBleep

2. tiptopp macrumors regular

tiptopp

I went through the same series of questions a couple of weeks ago, and finally decided to go to '09. Two reasons, really. Faces in iPhoto - wanted to get all of my photos of my children sorted properly, and FTP in iWeb for my partner's website. I currently use Cyberduck, which is great, but I'm no techy and it takes ages to remember exactly how I'm supposed to get her website live each time she updates it. I'm hoping the new version is going to make that somewhat simpler - especially as it should only take setting it up once and showing her which button to hit for me not to have to do it again!

Tiptopp

3. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

If you have iLife 08, the answer is no. Not much has changed except iPhoto.

If you don't have iLife or an older version than 08, then go for it!

4. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

If you do decide you really need it, don't buy directly from apple - third party sites (like amazon) usually have appleware much, much cheaper.

5. nigameash macrumors 6502

If you like the new iPhoto, then go for it but if you feel that you dont need the new features all that much, wait up cz iLife 10 will be here soon :)

6. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

As others have said, there isn't a huge difference from 08 to 09.

I moved from 06 to 09, but a real techie in our user group stuck with 08 when she and I did a couple of demos at a recent meeting.

7. craiger902 macrumors member

What if you are buying a computer from Apple, then you get something like $30 off iLife. I plan on purchasing a MacBook Pro when the new models come out and I was thinking of getting iLife as well. Would it still be cheaper to get it from somewhere other than Apple?

8. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Check around to see what the current prices are (amazon fluctuates their price based on what everyone else is charging). Apple's price is $80; with the discount for buying it with a Mac, it's $50. Today it's $65 at amazon so at that price you're better off getting it with your new machine. But, not everyone is getting a new machine (and the consequent discount), in which case, a third party is a better deal.

9. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

New Macs come with iLife pre-installed. No need to worry about buying it extra or getting a discount. I think that might be Mobile Me you're thinking of.

10. jpyc7 macrumors 6502

Either that (MobileMe) or iWork might get the discount too.

11. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Just to clarify, if you buy at apple, it's eligible for rebates for iWork and MobileMe. Apple's deal is here: http://www.apple.com/promo/

Other resellers have other rebates and offers too.

12. Jett0516 macrumors 6502a

Jett0516

13. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

I'd wait. I think a new one will come out in the summer. Maybe around July.

14. nastebu macrumors 6502

If you use iMovie, the upgrade is necessary. iMovie 09 is much easier to use and has vastly expanded capabilities.

15. psingh01 macrumors 65816

I just recently upgraded. The only reason I did so was because I bought a camcorder and it wasn't supported by iMovie 08. Otherwise I would have just waited for iLife '10.