ilife 09 or iwork 09?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Gaogier, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Gaogier macrumors regular

Hello

Lets say, i have enough money for 1.

What one should i get, and why?

I have ilife06 and iwork06.

I have more than enough to get both, but i am wanting to get a bigger hhd for my mac

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

They do completely different things, so it depends on what you need to do. iLife is included in Mac OS X. You have to pay for iWork. Sounds like you need to spend some time reading about them, so you know what they're used for.

3. Gaogier thread starter macrumors regular

dont get me wrong, i know what they are for.

Just not got a clue on what one to get... need someone to tell me...

I know, ilife, allows you to organize photos, put them into movies, make movies, make DVD's, make music, ect...

I know iwork is a package document, where you can make "more formal" things.

What i am asking, I have ilife 06 and iwork 06, what should i get, ilife09 and still use iwork 06 or use ilife06 and get iwork 09. what is best to buy?

4. PharmD macrumors 6502

Do you have leopard? How old is your computer? Is it an Intel-based mac?

5. Patdt13 macrumors 6502

I think you should go with iWork 09. I use iLife 06 right now, and I have no problems with it. I've used the 30 day trial of iWork 09, and I loved it. I bought it last week and couldn't be happier.:apple:

6. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I picked up both. I installed iLife09 right away because I wanted to use face recognition on my huge photo collection. My son is graduating this spring and I want to be able to quickly come up with photos to make slideshows, etc.

I have not installed iWork09 yet and if I were faced with a choice, I would have picked iLife because of significant new features that I need. I'm already using faces and places. I plan to use flickr/facebook uploader soon. I plan to look at the music/instrument tutorials in garage band. I had ignored garage band before. I don't expect much of an update in iWeb but I'll take a peek. My kids will probably want to use iMovie right away so the iLife09 family pack was my first priority.

I have Openoffice.org 3.0 for MS interoperability so I could hold off on iWork09 if I wanted to. The other day, a family member asked me to assist in preparing a funeral program on short notice. They wanted a picture cropped with an oval. IWork08 (Pages) did this easily. I will probably get around to installing iWork09 this evening and if it does as well as I hope, I might be able to make it the default handler for doc, docx, etc rather than openoffice.

7. Achiever macrumors 6502

Achiever

I think it largely depends on your usage of each suite. For my money, if I had to choose only one, I would get iWork because there is a MONUMENTAL (IMHO) difference between the '06 and '09 versions. Besides the addition and development of Numbers, Keynote has ben incrementally improved and Pages is a 180 degrees different from the '06 version. A much, much better word processor. If you want to gauge the '09 version, try testing it; Apple is giving users a free 30 day fully featured trial. Like to it on the Apple site and give it a whirl.

As for iLife, I think the differences b/w '06 & '09 are also big, but most of the useful ones for me occurred between '06 and '08 in iPhoto (I use the rest of it sporadically, if at all). The ability to add Events was a great organization tool, as was the ability to scroll over an event to see what's in it. Also, the editing tools were better, too. iMovie is much better in '09 as is Garageband, but I really don't use these much at all.

I don't know if you are aware, but if you are still running the '06 suites, you also might still be running Tiger. Apple is offering a box set of Leopard, and both '09 suites for $169. That's a great deal if you do not have Leopard. You will also need Leopard to use the '09 iLife as some of the new features are Leopard dependant. This may also help make your decision for you.

To summarize, it depends upon your needs and usage, but my choice would be 1) the box set of all three, 2) iWork, 3) iLife. Good luck.

No, iLife is NOT included with OS X. Apple pre-loads it and offers it for free with new Macs, but it is NOT part of the OS.

8. Gaogier thread starter macrumors regular

I have leopard.

I normally dont update windows (my laptop) it always gets messed up.
    I always kept my mac up to date with software, but didnt upgrade on ilife/iwork.

I am trying to start up a business, which is where iwork will come in. I also am wanting to create gifts for people, (books, movies).

Like i said, i can get both, but I am wanting to upgrade my imac, from 160GB to high as possible, 1GB ram to high as possible. (imac late 2006 version)

9. malachiman macrumors regular

I am stuck trying to decide the same thing here, i have been using the trial of iWorks 09 and its great, never saw the need to ditch office until now. but i like the ilife features too. I also need to buy a bigger HD, so its going to be one or the other for now?

10. Gaogier thread starter macrumors regular

I am thinking, Ilife, due to it being more fun... iwork sounds too workish... lol

what a stupid way i know

11. nippyjun macrumors 65816

If you are associated with a university or know someone who is you may be eligible to get both of them much cheaper than full retail.

12. yoppie macrumors 6502a

You should go with the one that you use the most.

I'm a student so iWork would be more important than iLife (for which I only use iPhoto). Thankfully, I didn't have to make the decision that you're left to make since the school carries both for $39 each.

You can't go wrong either way. Both are great.

13. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

I recently purchased iWork and am amazed at how much I'm using it. Part of it is that I'm discovering so many cool things while doing so.

+1 for iWork.

14. Gaogier thread starter macrumors regular

I have got ilife 09... cant wait for it to come... try it out...