iLife 09 reinstall

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ChaosAngel, Mar 15, 2010.

1. ChaosAngel macrumors member

Hi all,

Since upgrading to Snow Leopard I have not had the need to install my copy of iLife 09. However over the past few days I have needed to use iMovie and as a result went hunting for my disc. Unfortunately it was no where to be found.

As I own a licenece of iLife 09 (got with my Mac), is it OK for me to download a new copy? Does iLife have any unique identifies that talk back to Apple headquarters?

Also, as I only need iMovie. Is it possible to install just one application instead of the whole package? Maybe from the command line?

Cheers,

Matt.

2. nastebu macrumors 6502

where are you downloading from? I thought the iLife applications were not for download on Apple.com?

3. GeraldButton macrumors member

I suggest calling Apple for a replacement disc. If you have a copy already and have proof it shouldn't be an issue although I have never tried this. As for downloading another copy? Apple does not offer this. The only places you could get a copy online would involve piracy, whether or not you own a license now doesn't matter as you have nothing to prove it with the original disc and I assume packaging missing.

Also, if you tried the second route, you may get some unwanted nasty surprises in your download. So before trying to find a new copy I suggest calling Apple first.

4. ChaosAngel thread starter macrumors member

Hi all,

Thanks for the update. You are right in saying I was suggesting downloading the disc image from a non-Apple source, as they do not offer an official download.

I have my e-receipt for my MacBook Pro purchase which is what iLife 09 was bundled with. I will speak with Apple about getting a replacement.

Regarding my second question - Is it possible to install just iMovie from iLife 09?

Cheers,

Matt.

5. GeraldButton macrumors member

I believe you can, when it asks what you would like to install just uncheck everything besides iMovie. Although I could be wrong and it may have you install each iLife application, but I don't know off the top of my head but im pretty sure you can pick and choose. If your like me and have the hard drive space I just install them all.

As for the piracy thing? Don't take that the wrong way or anything, but downloading any software from a non trusted source not approved by the developer is bad news, I don't know if you can recall what happened when iWork '09 was released, that's what I brought that up in my previous post.

6. ChaosAngel thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the response. I have confirmed that iLife 09 does have a "custom" install option. Now all I need is my disc.

If I can't find it, are there any good free/open source iMovie like applications out there? I don't need anything special, just basic editing and addition of simple effects.

Cheers.