iLife 10 coming soon?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by krayziekray, May 21, 2010.

1. krayziekray macrumors 6502

Hi all,

A friend of mine currently has iLife 08 on his mac that he got preinstalled when he brought it. Now he's finally making the most out of iLife (after all this time lol) and wants to update (purchase) the latest version.

He's asked for my advice on if he should buy or wait for the new version. I'm not too sure when iLife 10 will be coming out (if it comes out) and would appriciate some advice that I could give him. Buy now or wait?

Thanks!

2. aiqw9182 macrumors 65816

Ask him if he absolutely needs anything from 09, if he says no, then tell him to wait.

3. krayziekray thread starter macrumors 6502

Cheers aiqw9182 for your quick reply.

Yeh from the sound of it, he only really uses iPhoto and iMovie (for family videos as he has a new baby boy :)). I think he would welcome the facebook integration and the facial recognition in iphoto and the tweaks in iMovie, but I guess I'll advise him to hold out for it.

Any rough estimations on when the new one might be coming out?

4. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

iLife is typically introduced in January but iLife '08 broke that pattern by being launched in the summer. All the apps you'd expect to be in the suite are now launched and mostly fully featured so annual updates don't appear as necessary as before. There doesn't seem to be any obvious pending updates so I'm going to guess that iLife 2011 will be the next version, released in January.

iLife '06 Macworld Conference & Expo on January 10, 2006
    iLife '08 Special Summer event on August 7, 2007
    iLife '09 Macworld Conference & Expo on January 6, 2009

If your friend can wait at least until August and nothing is launched, he can decide then if it's worth upgrading to '09 or waiting again until January when iLife 2011 will most likely be released.

5. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Summer sounds most plausible.

Apple would likely want to hit during the Back to School rush.

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

It's not "iLife '09" anymore, it's just "iLife."

Apple are no longer locked into a ~yearly release cycle. There is no information at this stage regarding any updates to the iLife suite.

I'd just buy the new one.

7. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

8. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

Thanks for your contribution :rolleyes:

to the OP, I hope an update will be out this summer :eek: