iLife '10 - will it run on PowerPCs?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JazzCollector, Sep 10, 2009.

1. JazzCollector macrumors member

I'm sure I've messed up the name powerpc. I have a mac that runs the other animal but can't run Snow Leopard. It has the unix based system.

I sure do need to get educated on the terminology but I think you'll be able to help me dispite my limitations.

I have iLife '08 and intended to wait until version '10 was released. Now I'm not so certain that my computer will support this new version. Does anyone have insight into the minimum OS requirements for this release?

If I can't upgrade, would you recommend that I grab iLife '09? I would only use the Movie and DVD portion of this SW as all my photos are in Lightroom. I have no intention of using Garage Band or iWeb.

Thanks everyone.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I agree. I think they'll drop support for the PowerPC chips for the next version of iLife. Apple will probably require Snow Leopard for it.

4. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

iLife '09 required Leopard, so it makes sense that the next version will require Snow Leopard.

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Bingo, the day Snow Leopard shipped, basically signaled the end of PPC support for future app shipments from Apple.

While Leopard will get bug fixes until the next OS, any new apps from Apple will likely be Snow Leopard only -- thus Intel only.

Has been happening every OS update for awhile. Ship a new OS, require that OS for the new application.

6. Amdahl macrumors 65816

Explain iLife 08.

It is not likely that Apple is going to drop support for Leopard in iLife '10 just because they shipped a $29 service pack.

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I would say probs. not, but given that we no nothing of iLife 10', we shall wait and see...