iLife '11 is 64-bit

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Bryan Bowler, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

I spoke with James H. on Apple's chat service and he kept me on-hold for at least 5 minutes while he called Tech Support. He came back and said that iLife '11 is definitely 64-bit.

I'm kind of surprised this wasn't mentioned in the keynote today. Going 64-bit is a significant upgrade...

Bryan

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

To be honest, You could've asked if it was 3434.5 bit and he would've said yes. I'm not saying it isn't 64-bit, but he's probably giving you whatever answer you want to hear.

3. Bryan Bowler thread starter macrumors 68040

LOL. You could be right!

One thing though, I asked him if he was 100% sure of this, and he said that tech support has been fielding this question all afternoon and that yes, they were 100% sure that the new version is 64-bit.

I guess none of us will know until it gets in our hands.

Bryan

4. Tallhalfwit macrumors newbie

5. aiqw9182 macrumors 65816

Earlier Intel Macs had Intel Core Duo processors(which are 32-bit) and they can run Snow Leopard so the requirements don't tell us anything in relation to it being 64-bit.

6. bzollinger macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

I sure hope that iLife is 64-bit! I hope it's multi-core aware too! Rendering menus and slide transitions in iDVD takes some horse power, but 3 of my 4 cores are idle!!

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Why? :confused:

8. bzollinger macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

If it is multi-core aware and can use more RAM then I can see a benefit. My fingers are crossed.

9. aiqw9182 macrumors 65816

I doubt it, I'm almost positive they are still using the Quicktime 7 framework which also leads me to believe they iLife '11 is not 64-bit(at least for the apps that rely heavily on Quicktime 7 like iMovie). Until Apple updates the Quicktime X framework with Quicktime 7's encoding features/options I don't think we will see any multi-core enhancements.

10. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

What the hell are you guys using Pages for? 64-bit, multicore support? When would you need that power? :p

11. CavemanUK macrumors 6502

CavemanUK

The system requirements clearly say "an intel processor" and not "a 64-bit intel processor" garageband goes on to say a "core duo" processor.. not "core 2 duo or better"

It may be able to run in a 64-bit mode but its obviously not exclusive to 64-bit systems.

12. CavemanUK macrumors 6502

CavemanUK

sorry mate, thats iWork, not iLife.. I can see why the 64-bit support would be handy for iLife with all the number crunching required from garageband, iPhoto and iMovie.

13. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Which they better do in Lion. If they don't I don't even want to be on MR on the day we find out. Not going to be good.

14. itsLouieV macrumors regular

itsLouieV

I can confirm that it isnt. Installed it, ran it, then checked both with activity monitor and checkup.

None of the iLife 11 suite is 64-bit

15. bzollinger macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

This is a bunch of crap :apple:!

Can you tell us if iLife '11 can use more core/CPU power?

16. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

I know when updating my 102GB library for iPhoto and updating iMovie thubnails it pegged all four cores on my 2006 Mac Pro. Overall though....I feel both iPhoto and iMovie '11 are sluggish on my 2006 Mac Pro.

However, I'm pretty sure both versions of '09 used all cores as well

-Kevin