iLife 11 is it Really Worth it?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Wicked1, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Just trying to figure out if I should break down and spend the $50 for this software, or if I stick with 09 would that be ok.

If there are tons of features that make 11 worth it I would go for it, but I have seen some posts where people have issues with it quitting and now working right.

2. DenisK macrumors member

No!

Search of this forum is your friend, my friend. Many here have concurred that Apple actually owes us a lot more than $50 for installing this so-called "upgrade". A lot of useful features were lost or dumbed down without giving anything in iPhoto, for example. Can's speak much for other components as I am primarily interested in iPhoto.

3. etoyszone macrumors newbie

New Macbook Owner

Hi,

I have just bought a macbook (early 2009) 13" and i am wondering what this iLife is? Is it something to do with the iPhoto and Imovie apps?

4. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Read this:

http://www.apple.com/ilife/

5. Ifti macrumors 68000

I upgraded from iMovie 09 to 11.
    Is it worth it?? Depends what you use it for. Personally though, I dont think its a must-have purchase.
    Heres a quick overview....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Emdvliiu7s

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

For Garage Band it was ... everything else was Meh.

7. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I concur. The GarageBand update this round was impressive, adding plenty of features that were only available in Logic. iPhoto is sort of a downgrade, iMovie has a few nice updates, iDVD and iWeb have not changed a bit.

If you have iWork 09 or even 08, it's not worth it much. You can function just as well with 08 and 09 just as well as 11.

8. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

Really disappointed with iPhoto 09, feels like a real step backwards.

In particular, you can't just see the date a photo was taken now without giving a fifth of your screen to that stupid, oversized right-hand panel.

Really disappointed.

AppleMatt

9. applequeen macrumors newbie

iMovie & iPhoto: NO!!

Okay so I bought iLife 11 mainly for iMovie and iPhoto. I only occasionally mess around a little with garage band. When it comes to iMovie and iPhoto, I would say wait until apple comes out with the next upgrade. Its no offense because I am a total apple lover, was not very impressive. I had owned iLife 08 & iLife 09. I have to say I thought iMovie 09 was VERY impressive. But iMovie 11 is exactly the same as 09, with no other effects. Like 3 more project themes, and with those a few new texts and transitions. One feature is the 'trailer' feature, but its not great, it doesnt give you much 'freedom'. So anyways on to iPhoto, it is much like 09 version which I didnt like that much. There is not that many new features just an updated design look. Its a tiny bit easier to use but 09 was easy too...So anyway as I said about garage band. I heard its awesome but Im not sure, it depends what your into I guess!

10. Kyffin macrumors 6502

I was thinking of upgrading just for the extra piano lessons with Garage Band- don't suppose you've any idea whether it'll be a discrete upgrade option in the new app store? Thanks

11. erinries macrumors newbie

ilife and supposed upgrade to iphoto

I just purchased ilife thinking the upgrade for iphoto would be great.
    I am so disappointed. I have lost features that were really cool on the original version such as the ability to have text over a full page photo instead of some silly text box. And, when I do command z to get back, I cannot always get back. Very frustrating. Also, there is something wrong with the zoom feature. It gets stuck and wants to move all by itself.

12. sigamy macrumors 65816

The Mac App store may be released this week. We should then be able to purchase individual iLife and iWork apps.

I plan on purchasing iMovie '11 only. From what I've read across the web most folks are not happy with iPhoto '11. Seems that Apple had done to iPhoto users what they did to iMovie users back in iMovie '08.

13. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

On my 1.8 GHz iMac, the new iPhoto runs much more slowly than the previous version, both in launching and scrolling through photos. Between that and the transformation of the small Info pane into that huge screen real estate hog I am sad that I upgraded.

14. Wee Beastie, Jan 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2011

Wee Beastie macrumors regular

Nice! I am glad you guys are liking it. I am hoping to purchase just that when the Mac App Store launches. I don't use any other iLife apps. But GB will be a definite purchase if available as a standalone app.

15. spice weasel macrumors 65816

It depends on what iLife apps you use the most.

I bought a copy, but only because I got it very cheaply through my university's computer store. As others have said, Garageband got a nice upgrade. iPhoto got some nice tweaks, but I use Aperture now so those didn't interest me. I haven't touched iMovie in ages, so I'm not sure how much better (if any) it is now. iWeb didn't get updated at all.

If you have iLife '09, I'd recommend passing on the latest version. If you have an older copy, it might be worth it.