iLife '11 - Not fit for release

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tzus, Oct 23, 2010.

1. tzus macrumors member

What a dreadful so-called upgrade. I particularly hate the new email setup - all I want to do is attached photo's to an email using Mail. I don't want a load of graphics with it. KISS!

The application has lost it's way and this upgrade seems to be an upgrade for upgrades sake and I have uninstalled it and gone back to iPhoto '09 (Thanks to Time Machine).

2. mags631 Guest

Have not had to use the email feature yet, however, the slideshows are great -- already produced several and was impressed with how it chose to layout the photos. Very quick to produce a 20+ minute slideshow incorporating movies and photos.

3. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

I personally see no advantage to iLife '11 since I rarely if ever use iMovie and don't use Garage Band. However, since I use Aperture for my photos, the slideshow portion intrigues me. May need to play with that at an Apple store and see if it's worth suing that portion of it in conjunction with Aperture. Has anyone tried this yet?

4. Pomeroy macrumors 6502

Pomeroy

I don't have the new iLife but I don't know why you can't send photos from iPhoto just like you could from all the older versions of iLife. Just select the photos you want to email in iPhoto and drag to the dock and drop on Mail, it will open with the photos and you can select the size you want to send, rearrange them, type your message and hit send.

5. smalltimewine macrumors newbie

The new integrated email sharing is one of my favorite new features. Having to switch to Mail always seemed a silly extra step to me. In addition to dragging into Mail, you can still attach photos via the media drawer in Mail.

I'm really liking the updates in iMovie, especially the audio tools and rolling shutter correction. Too each their own, but for me the update has answered most of my wishes since 09.

6. reviewmonsters macrumors newbie

reviewmonsters

I'm stuck in the middle really, i think the new features in iMovie are very good and are going to be useful (love the movie trailers!) yet some of the iPhoto features aren't going to be used, well by me anyway! I am fairly happy with the update.

7. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I like it a lot. Especially the updates on garageband. The new features in garageband have saved me money as I now do not have the desire to buy logic.

8. hsotnicam8002 macrumors 6502

hsotnicam8002

I agree with the topic title. It's just a few minor feature additions but with the position of many controls changed - what a pain that is! And you can't even change the dock icons now and the originals suck as usual!

9. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

iMovie and GarageBand are decent updates. If you use either (or both) of them, I think $49 is worth it.

The iPhoto update is a step backwards. The built-in email feature would be fine if they didn't limit you to 10 photos and you could choose to just have a blank message instead of using a template (or choose to email using your default email app like you could before).

10. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

If you are only interested in upgrading individual iLife apps it's probably worth waiting for the Mac App Store where they should be available for only $14.99 each.

11. belltree macrumors 6502

The inability to send a mail with photos attached inline (sans HTML template) is a showstopper for me and I am thankful I found this out before purchasing. Apple will not be getting my upgrade $$ this time.

Also, the next Mac I purchase will get an iLife 09 downgrade.

12. Jason Edwards macrumors regular

I agree. iMovie updates are ok, but iPhoto is awful. After almost 2 years this is all we get and they are calling this a major upgrade !! I will probably being going back to '09 myself or maybe just fully switch over to Picasa. I can go online to get my calendars and cards made. I'm really disappointed.

Jason

13. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

iPhoto '11 is an absolute mess. For the first time since iPhoto 1.0 was released, I wish I had not upgraded to the new version.

- The new book carrousel looks like a graphics engine demo. It's slow, cumbersome and completely unnecessary. They no longer even mention how many pages you get with each type of book before additional printing costs kick in. It's 20 by the way.

- Location data is now more difficult to add especially since it now performs an instant Google search with every letter of a location you type. The location map is too small to use.

- I don't like the new Lightroom-like reorganization of tools.

- They've removed many of the options within the default "right click" contextual menu. You have to now click on the picture, then edit before getting additional contextual options.

- Full screen photo viewing is gone.

- My MobileMe galleries are still syncing after installing iPhoto '11 some 24+ hours ago. Yet there's barely anything stored on my MobileMe account (less than 100 photos total).

- You can't just attach the photos using the new in-app e-mail creation. You have to pick a built-in template first.

- There's no calendar support. Apparently, it's coming in a future update (WTH?).

I could go on and on. It comes off like a Beta release.

14. BBC B 32k macrumors 6502

iPhoto seems like it should be a free upgrade. bit mean to charge for a few new bell and whistles. Maybe most people will just skip this version and wait untill they buy a new mac.

15. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

You can still do this by selecting the photos in iPhoto and dragging them to the Mail icon in the dock. This will create a new message, just like the old email functionality of iPhoto '09.

I agree, the new email functionality sucks. But at least I can drag and drop.

BTW.....I had to restart my Mac after installing iLife '11 to get the drag and drop to work correctly.....otherwise I got an invalid plugin error.

I'm not sure iPhoto was ready.

-Kevin