iLife '11 vouchers with new iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by LordSeth, Aug 9, 2010.

1. LordSeth macrumors newbie

Hi there,
    I've been waiting for the new iMac since the WWDC in June. Finally it's here and I need a new computer quite urgently now (my iBook 12" 1.33 is certainly showing its age now...). However, I think it wouldn't be wise not to wait for iLife '11.

But, as I mentioned, I do need a new computer urgently now, I was wondering whether Apple might give iLife '11 vouchers away when you order a new iMac now as the release date is coming closer...

Has anybody bought a new Mac just recently and happens to know whether there are vouchers or discounts for iLife '11 when you buy a new Mac now?

cheers

2. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

They usually have an arrangement for a free upgrade to the next version of ilife - I think there was a small admin/postage fee as well.

Hope it extends to early July when I got my MacMini :)

3. seb-opp macrumors 6502

I've not heard of Apple doing that with iLife, previously when a new OS was released, people got it for the price of postage if they got a mac immediately before the release.

I think you should just get the mac now and not worry about it. Personally I don't think waiting for iLife updates is worth it because they have always been incremental upgrades rather than being revolutionary.

4. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

If you are using iDVD you might want to have the current iLife '10 since it is rumored to be dropped.

My only hope for improvements in iLife is that it be 64-bit and multi-threaded. Performance of iMovie in particular isn't what it could be as it doesn't use multiple cores. iPhoto would speed up as well.

There's rumors of some new app that might make it worth the wait, but who knows what it will be.

Probably a good idea not to buy iWork at this time. I'd expect an upgrade to that as well, and the delta-improvements in iWork versions have been much greater than iLife.

5. heesey1010 macrumors member

I honestly dont' remember iLife up-to-date upgrades being retroactive (in other words, up-to-date only applies to people who bought a Mac the day of iLife/iWork release and two months after that since Apple doesn't have time to slip CDs in the computers' boxes). But I just went ahead and bought a refurb Mac Mini today anyway because I can get iLife a little bit cheaper ($49 through the university rather than 79)

6. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Yes, typically the "up to date" program starts the day the new software is announced. The idea is that you get it for free even though it hasn't been loaded onto the computer you bought.

Some people posting here in the past suggested aggressive complaining to customer service might score a free upgrade even if the computer was bought <30 before the release of the software.

7. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

You would be able to get the latest version of iLife for just shipping if you bought a Mac that didn't have it after the software was announced.
    If you need an iMac, buy it. The current version is still very capable.

8. emaja macrumors 68000

Historically, Apple has only given free upgrades to people who bought their Macs after the new OS or iLife were shipping, but before the updates were actually available pre-installed on Macs.

Example - say iLife '11 is announced to be shipping August 30th. Best Buy already has iMacs in stock that do not have iLife '11 installed. If I buy one of those iMacs on September 1st, mine will not have iLife '11, so Apple has their "Software Up-To-Date" program for me to get iLife '11 at no charge.

It works out to be pretty simple. Any Mac that is bought will always be eligible for the latest software that is currently on sale. If I buy one that has an older version of software, Apple will bring me up-to-date as long as I fill out the forms and return them within their specified period.

9. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Note for refurb buyers -- you are stuck with the shipped software. No free upgrades.

10. heesey1010 macrumors member

11. aristobrat macrumors G4

FWIW, with the last iLife update, Apple gave free updates to anyone that bought their Macs on or after the announce date, not the ship date.

iLife '09 was announced on Jan 6 and shipped on Jan 27. Anyone that purchased a new Mac on or after Jan 6 was eligible to receive the new iLife.
    http://www.tuaw.com/2009/01/20/ilife-09-hardware-up-to-date-program/

12. LordSeth thread starter macrumors newbie

that's just what I was about to post when the forum decided to log me out.

64-bit and multi-thread support seem to be worth waiting for... why not use your hardware's capabilities ...

13. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

14. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

Just bought a MBP13 for nephew and 27iMac for the wife Thurs the 12th and yeah no vouchers whatsoever, nor would they/could they spill the beans on iLife 11 release date.

Just hated getting the current ipod touches knowing the refresh is right around the corner, oh well ebay x2.

15. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

No vouchers until they actually release something.

Each year they do it, why be bitter about getting 2 'old' iPod Touches.

16. PhelpsiPhan macrumors 6502

PhelpsiPhan

I agree, i would like iLife 11 to come as a voucher with any new iMacs bought

17. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

Haven't received a voucher yet even when new software did come out.

I did say current iPod touch not old. They were going on eBay regardless hence the oh well ebay x2. Saved $200 off the computers and hopefully 300-400 more back in my pocket. Not bitter at all.

18. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

I bought my MacBook Pro on June 2009 and when I bought it they had already announced Snow Leopard so I got a $20 discount on Snow Leopard because when I bought my Mac it had already been announced, but I think that those that bought it before the announcement had to buy it at it original price ($30, not much, but well).

So my suggestion, buy it now. I haven't heard anything new on the release date of iLife 11, hope it's soon.