iLife 11 - Your Thoughts

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by stockcerts, Nov 30, 2010.

1. stockcerts macrumors 65816

I'm considering getting the newest version of iLife and thought I'd ask those of you that bought it, are you pleased with the update? I mostly do photo editing, and I've been a big fan of iMovie and IWeb. I'm not clear if there are new templates in iWeb.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated...I'm on the fence about making the purchase..thanks!

2. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

iDVD and iWeb were not updated, but are included on the install DVD.

If you're big into iPhoto, I would wait as there are a many outstanding issues including major bugs, performance issues and missing features.

I personally feel the new Garageband is more difficult to use but has some great new features. iMovie '11 is an improvement for '09 users but it's still no iMovie HD.

All in all, this is probably the poorest iLife update I can remember, and I've been using the iLife suite of apps since iMovie's intial launch in 1999.

It just wasn't ready for release. I would hold off until all the apps at least get another software update. Apple has been on a role lately with shipping half-baked software (iLife, iTunes 10, AirPlay, AirPrint, etc).

3. GMikeyMike macrumors newbie

I would NOT upgrade to iPhoto 11. I absolutely HATE IT. It has been a disaster from day one. Read the support pages on Apple's website. It is a complete and utter failure. Stay with what you have. Or, if you want to throw your money away, just open the window and toss it out. Or, if you are really interested in spending some money, try Aperture for $200. That's my next step as the Apple rep agreed to refund Mac Box set that I recently purchased. Someone should seriously consider a class action lawsuit against Apple for releasing iPhoto 11. People have lost image libraries and wasted a great deal of time.

4. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I don't mind it, but it isn't a vast improvement. You can quite happily function on iLife 09 or even 08 the same.

5. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

If you like the more advanced features of iPhoto 09, you'll want to avoid the dumbed-down iPhoto 11. If you're into Garageband and iMovie you may want to investigate the new features.

You might want to wait for the Mac App store (January?), then you can pick up just the apps you want.

Maybe by then an update will fix iPhoto 11's remaining bugs and bring back all the missing functionality...

6. gorjan macrumors 6502

I have the same impression of the last couple of iLifes. There's not much new in 09 and 11 from 08 actually. At least not to warrant the "upgrade" price.

7. MaryBoog macrumors newbie

Definitely and unfortunately the upgrade is not worth the money:( it's more of a downgrade to my opinion

8. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I kinda like iPhoto '11. It seems more intuitive and a little snappier.

9. DenisK macrumors member

Snappier? Nah. Intuitive? Nah-hah!!!
    If anything, it is a definite downgrade, in speed, important functionality and features, and the way it looks is awful. Hate the fake full-screen that is not full. I wish i did not buy it.

10. jms969 macrumors 6502

I love iPhoto '11, no issues at all. Have you updated to 9.1?

11. DenisK macrumors member

I have, and it did absolutely nothing. Meaning, it did not move one iota towards restoring the nice ad usable features Apple robbed us in this so-called upgrade.

12. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

The new iMovie and GarageBand seem solid, but I'm very disappointed with iPhoto 11 (so much so that I manually downgraded to iPhoto '09 and recreated my iPhoto Library). Too many missing features, poor user interface decisions (creating a new project is tedious, full-screen mode always shows toolbars, editing pane and info pane take a large chunk of the screen). The whole thing just feels dumbed-down on the whole.

13. stockcerts thread starter macrumors 65816

Based on these postings, I'll probably wait and not upgrade to the newer iLife. I wouldn't mind having the new iMove, but it's not worth upgrading the entire suite just for that.

14. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

If you just want iMovie you may find that apple releases it as a standalone item when the mac app store opens. January?

The question is will they be understanding enough to offer iphoto 09 too? (probably not, iphoto 11 libraries would have to be built from scratch unless someone writes a library downgrader).

15. zoran macrumors 68030

16. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

Can you elaborate on your issues or is this just a generic rant? Nowhere in your post do declare what problems you are having, which does nothing to help someone who might be having problems.

Now, I haven't used it extensively yet after having it for about a week but so far it's a nice upgrade from '09, in my opinion.