iLife '11

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Nobita, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Nobita macrumors 6502

I was looking over and it says $79 ($AU 99) for a family pack upgrade from iLife '09.

I have two computers with iLife '09, one with iLife '08, and another with iLife '06, can I buy the family pack and upgrade them all?

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

3. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

No reason why you can't, in the end (even with the 'upgrade' from '09, as they put it) all it's going to do is erase all of the old application data and replace it with iLife '11 data. No reason it won't work if you have older versions installed, as far as I understand (kind of like how Apple conveniently worded their Snow Leopard material to make it seem like you needed Leopard to be able to use the $29 install discs, when in fact they did also work with Tiger).

4. TheNewDude macrumors 6502a

Will Lion come with iLife??

If yes, then I there really is no need to upgrade now. Just upgrade to Lion and you will get the new iLife too.

5. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

It won't be bundled with Lion, they haven't done that with iLife for a long time if ever.

6. Nobita thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah, ok. But would erasing the apps make me lose my preferences etc?

BTW, does this iLife actually have the fullscreen mode? If so, then the fullscreen mode is not really a feature of Lion, per se. It's actually a feature of iLife '11?

P.s. if my girlfriend lives with me, but put her desktop in her mom's house. Does this computer count as in the same household... ?

7. Nobita thread starter macrumors 6502

Ya, this is the reason why I have a computer with snow leopoard and iLife 06

8. TheNewDude macrumors 6502a

Sorry wasn't aware of that...

Would've been a good idea though. They could've sold a bundle with $10 discount or something. More people would've bought it! My 2 cents...

9. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

they do have the mac box set which includes iLife and iWork and is what you are supposed to buy if you are upgrading from tiger, I'm not sure if it gives you any discount over buying them separately though

10. TheNewDude macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I don't have any use for iWork anyways. Kinda dependent on MS Office.

Oh well, when the time comes I will have to decide if I need the upgraded iLife or not. I don't really use it much as it is.... I've never opened GarageBand and have had my Mac since April!

11. Nobita thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm upgrading just for iPhoto. It's amazing.

12. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

You could just wait for the Mac App Store to launch then and just upgrade iPhoto. I'm strongly considering that, I have no need for the other apps currently and could just upgrade them later if I did.

Only problem I have with iPhoto right now is they seem to have dropped support for printing Calendars. That was a cool feature, although admittedly I've only done it once. My sister has done several though, I'll have to make sure she's aware before she upgrades her computer.

jW

13. cav23j macrumors regular

wait till the mac app store launches (next 90 days)
    buy iPhoto 11 (standalone in app store) for $15 and it will let you download it onto all your computers

you need Snow Leopard on all of them though

14. Nobita thread starter macrumors 6502

looking at the news on the front page I may now be considering that.

I do think others are nice to have as well, but like most of you, I never open garage band either...

So are you guys sure I can install iPhoto to all my ( and my girlfriend's, my mom's) five computers?

15. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

They said that you can install it onto all of the computers you own in the keynote, so yes you will be able to.

16. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Regarding multiple Macs vs. retail box/app store:

I believe Apple's policy on Family Packs is that all 5 Macs must be in the same household. So your gf's Mac wouldn't be eligible, nor would your mother's Mac if she doesn't live with you. With that said, there's nothing stopping you from doing it except your conscience.

As for the Mac App Store versions of iLife apps, Steve said that the app store apps will be downloadable to all of your Macs. I assume that all of these Macs have to have access to your iTunes store account.

17. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Calendars aren't going away, they just aren't quite ready yet.

18. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Thanks! That's awesome news!

jW

19. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

Not sure the reason for getting the family pack. I picked up the $49 copy, and installed just fine on all 5 of our computers:confused:

20. Nobita thread starter macrumors 6502

Of course, but my conscience is stopping me from doing that.

21. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

you can, but some people want to actually follow the license terms and install it legally, even though Apple won't do anything about it.