iLife Crashing OS X Over and Over

Discussion in 'macOS' started by AHDuke99, Jun 16, 2011.

1. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

Hey all,

I'm asking for help on behalf of my girlfriend. She's in Singapore for most of the summer, and she bought a new MBP 13" before she left. Since then, she tells me that whenever she opens iLife applications like iPhoto and the like, her entire system locks up and she isn't even able to force quit. Her only fix is holding down the power button till it restarts.

I told her to look at Activity Monitor and she said nothing was using more than 1% of the CPU, so it isn't something hung up in the background. She opened iPhoto today and it told her she needed to rebuild her library, but it eventually crashed as it was doing that (continuous spinning beachball)

Has anyone heard of this problem before? There isn't an Apple Store in Singapore she can go to (at least not an official one), so she doesn't know what to do. Any help would be great.

2. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

Sounds like a drive issue. Try having her run the disk utility and use the "Verify Disk" tool. Its Under /Applications/Utilities.
    If it's saying it needs to rebuild the Library, there is obviously some issue with iPhoto not knowing where the existing library went.
    EDIT:
    Any problems with other applications?
    You can also try to re-index, the drive under Preferences>Spotlight> go to the privacy tab and add the Macintosh HD(or whatever her drive name is), wait about 10 seconds then remove it. This will force her drive to exercise pretty hard to do the indexing, I am assuming you'll get some errors.

3. chaser394 macrumors newbie

Same Problem

I have the same problem I've tried it all my HD is fine checked and repaired thousand of times if anyone has a solution please share it.

4. AHDuke99 thread starter macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

I'll tell her to verify her disk. I also don't know if she's updated to the latest versions of anything.

I'm not sure if it happens with anything else. She told me it only seemed to happen with iLife applications, but I don't know if she uses anything else but iPhoto, unless iTunes counts towards iLife.