iLife for iMac G3

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Kilgore Trout, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Kilgore Trout macrumors newbie

My new (to me) machine: iMac G3 700MHz 256MB 20GB CD-RW M5521

I am so far enjoying my first mac. It's like a traveling in an exotic foreign land.
    The hardest part is just finding my way around, but it has been fairly easy to figure out.

Anyhoo.....

I will be increasing RAM to 1024MB.

Since I have a slot loading CD-RW drive, I won't be burning DVD's and editing movies, but was interested in tweaking photos, perhaps garage band for song writing scratch track stuff, I realize my machine is limited, but was wondering which version would be most advantageous for me and my machine...??

I checked the system requirements for 03, 04, 05, and ostensibly I can use any of them, but 04 has the addition of GarageBand, and this is of interest to me.

Was curious how the suite will/could run on my machine?

Since it it comes with a CD and a DVD, how can I load it on my machine? Will an external DVD drive work?

One last thing:

My DSL will be turned on soon, and I am awaiting the free router and set up CD. It sounds like I have to load their software to connect to the net.. Is this true, and will I have any issues, or is it the same as my PC?

Man that question sounds stupid to me, but I really don't know.

Thanks for any assistance.:)

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I don't know how well iLife will run on that Mac. Do keep in mind, though, that GarageBand is fairly demanding, and may choke if you try to play too many tracks at once.

As for the DVD thing, an external will most definitely work, if you're only reading and not writing.

Finally, regarding the DSL: The vast majority of ISPs want you to install their software to connect to the Internet. What they don't tell you is this: If you're running pretty much any version of Mac OS X, you don't need to! Most of the time, it'll "just work". If it doesn't work the first time (after you activate your service), your ISP may require that PPPoE be used to connect. This is fairly simple to set up, but you'll need to refer to the software's manual (hopefully, it's a PDF file) to find the specific settings you need.