iLife for iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by jamied95, Feb 16, 2011.

1. jamied95 macrumors 6502

Is iLife coming to iPad? If you go to www.apple.com/ilife and click upgrade on the iPad, then it launches the iLife section of the iPad App Store.

2. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

It actually opens up a section of iLife on the iTunes app. It is still cool and also does the same thing on an iPhone.

3. MacMonkee macrumors regular

MacMonkee

Hmm when i tried it on my iPhone it just launched the iTunes app on the music page?

I think an ios version of iLife would be pretty cool and could be a big boost to mac sales too. I'm really hoping iMovie comes to the iPad 2 because I think it would be so much easier to do video editing on the larger screen especially if you can transfer the video from your iPhone.

Garageband is another app I'd love to see. Although I'm no good at using the loops and bits, imagine being able to create podcasts, record your music and add an amazing soundtrack to your recently created iMovie masterpiece ;) Not to mention the video lessons would be great too.

And imagine being able to make a book or a card or a calendar and order direct from iPhoto on your iPad and be able to do some of the basic photo editing!

I want iLife for iPad (although I need the iPad first)

4. blackNBUK macrumors 6502a

Interesting find...

My first thought was that this was just a mistake created when Apple introduced the Mac App Store. It would be easy enough for someone to forget that iTunes links on the iPad take you to the iTunes or App Store Apps. However I also checked the Aperture page; clicking the "Buy Now" link on that page takes you to the App Store and displays a message saying you need to go to the Mac App Store to buy Aperture. So they have obviously thought about this situation and it makes the iLife link a little less likely to be an oversight.

It would be fantastic if this does turn out to be true as I think the iLife suite would be big step towards the iPad becoming a 'real' computer platform. It's not going to be easy though; for example, I'm mostly interested in iPhoto and an essential feature for me would be really robust two-way syncing between my iPad and my MacBook. I'd imagine users of iMovie and GarageBand would have similar essential features that would be difficult and/or time comsuming to bring to the iPad.

5. ufkdo, Feb 16, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2011

ufkdo macrumors 6502

Oh! I can't even imagine how awesome it would be to have sync option with iphoto and iphoto for ipad :eek: . I hope this is to be true.

6. MacMonkee macrumors regular

MacMonkee

MobileMe already has great synching functions, imagine if we can sync our media too? Apple have already stated they are going to make massive improvements to the service and don't forget their brand spanking new data centres they now have which should help

7. blackNBUK macrumors 6502a

That could be a good first step towards putting a lot more of our stuff in the cloud. Syncing photos to the cloud is going to require a lot of bandwidth and storage, but it's still going to be less than syncing music and a lot less than video. They might have to downsize photos to say 3 or 4 megapixels to make it workable though which would probably annoy a decent chunk of people.

8. jamied95, Feb 16, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2011

jamied95 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure they'll make it work. Even if it means they charge £100 a day for the privilege ;)

Back to iLife - seen as there's even an iLife title when the link takes you to the store, obviously some thought's gone into it?

9. EazyWeazy3 macrumors 6502

10. MacMonkee macrumors regular

MacMonkee

Unfortunately I think I've found out why it opens up iTunes on an ios device. If you click the link on a mac it comes up with one of the new iTunes links, which then opens up the Mac App Store. I think the the iPad and iPhone interprets this as a normal iTunes link online and the iLife title may be part of the link?

11. ConnorTurnbull macrumors 6502

It would be awesome. Photos needs a real improvement as stock, not as an additional purchase.

However, that link doesn't take you to the iPad App Store, it takes you to the Mac App Store which uses the same linking system as iTunes for iOS. It does seem weird that it does load an empty "iLife '11" page but I suspect this is not confirmation of anything.

12. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    iPhoto would be pretty cool. the Photo app is in dire need of improvement, and I would look forward to this

iMovie is already on the iPhone, I think it's inevitably coming to the iPad. But this really doesn't excited me because I've never used it.

GarageBand, is quite a niche product IMO. I doubt Apple would make it

iDVD is dead

iWeb is dead (but there is a chance that Apple is going to overhaul this service as part of it's new MobileMe services. Then an iphone/ipad counterpart would be essential)

That's iLife. :)

Then there was rumors about photobooth... That'll probably just the iPhone photo app thrown onto the iPad now that it'll have 2 cameras. They may add a few effects for fun, but I'm sure 3rd party apps will make something superior to Apple's output.

13. ConnorTurnbull macrumors 6502

Makes perfect sense. I think Apple might include iPhone two-way syncing with it's MobileMe "overhaul" so you reorganise/edit on iPad > goes to cloud > down to Mac iPhoto.

I think iMovie might come to the iPad, but since I doubt it they will have a rear-camera, i'm betting this will mean the iPad will accept more formats/codecs via the camera connection kit.

14. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I think it's just a side-effect of the links to the App store to be honest - the link is
    Code:
    http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewRoom?fcId=412903230&mt=12&id=29520

On a mac, the link opens the Mac App Store, but on an iOS device, it opens up the iTunes store.

15. jamied95 thread starter macrumors 6502

I' sure someone said earlier on that Aperture didn't?

16. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Well the iPad got iMovie and Garageband (not to mention photobooth). Two out of the big 3 of iLife. My guess is that since the Photo app is part of the OS it will get a huge update in iOS 5 and rebranded as iPhoto. Hopefully it will include the ability to edit pics, delete pics, and do a lot more social network interaction.