Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PaleoNerd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
Hi all. I'm new to the forums so I am sorry if this has been brought up before.

I am wondering if there are any plans to bring the iLife suit of programs to the iPad. They brought iWork over and iLife seems like it would be a natural fit with the iPad. I'd love to have Garage Band, so I could record and edit podcasts. Also having a full version of iPhoto would be priceless. I hate not being able to edit photos. Your thoughts?

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2009
UK
I second this, would be great to have iLife 09 on iPad.

I want to be able to use iPhoto on the iPad so I can add places/faces/keywords, general tagging so when Isync back to my Mac then its already done, rather than just one way, eg out and abut, copy some pics to your iPad using connection kit, could then start to tag them straight away.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
There's lots of photo editing apps that you can download that give similar control over color/crop/aspect ratio/ etc., that the full iPhoto does.

I don't expect the iPad to be powerful enough to do decent face recognition on your library of photos, though Faces and Places from iPhoto on your Mac will transfer over.

Creating and ordering iPhoto books, calendars, etc., like the full iPhoto would be nice to have on the iPad.

A GarageBand Lite or something wouldn't be too bad on the iPad either. 3rd party apps may exist already, though. Haven't looked.

IMHO, I don't think video editing is necessary on the iPad (iMovie, iDVD), though a video trim like on the iPhone might be handy for when you upload video off your camera using the camera connection kit.
Edit: Never mind, the iPad will already do that (I just tried it).

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i could see an iWeb like thing and perhaps a more robust photo app. but i think they would have done this already if there were plans to do so. Garage band could work on the ipad, at least in a stripped down version. iMovie, iDvd wouldn't have a place though.

Marty Macfly

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2010
iMovie on an iPad wouldn't work out so good, because there is no disc drive : /

I have never needed an optical drive for iMovie, particularly since iMovie doesn't burn disks, nor does it read from them. It would work perfectly fine.

EssentialParado

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2005
I'm not sure why a few of you can't see iMovie on the iPad, it seems more of a perfect fit than anything else in the iLife suite to me. You don't need a disc drive for iMovie, you can simply grab the videos off your SD card or USB cable (or even iPhone), edit it, and then upload straight to YouTube. (or Vimeo, your personal website, etc.)

I can just imagine it now… reordering clips quickly, applying effects exactly how you want them to be, skimming back and forth along the timeline… all on a full touchscreen device and doing it all with your finger. It is just as perfect for Garageband and iWeb too.

The iLife suite running off a touch interface would fit together so incredibly well I think Apple most definitely will unveil iLife for the iPad at some point. I am absolutely certain we'll see it either Feb next year or the following year.

And after that… bring on the professional apps!

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
I'm sure it's all in the works. The Photo App will get much more powerful and incorporate iPhoto processes into it. I agree that iMovie would work very well with a touch interface, and given the iPad connection camera kit, the importing of footage is already in place. The biggest problem would be the time it would take to transcode the footage. Not sure how quick the A4 can handle the conversion from AVCHD to AIC, and even then, if the iPad has the processing power to edit it.

jfyrfytr25

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2008
Guys. Remember, the iPad was not designed to be and is not a computer replacement. I don't think that GarageBand, iMovie and the rest have any future on the iPad.

itouch rulz

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2008
I'd like to be able to create and order iPhoto print products on my iPad (photo books with headings and comments etc) while on the couch. Hiding away in the study to do so on the iMac is like so 2009.

gr8ful

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2007
I say expect to see iMovie and GarageBand on the iPad by next year at the latest. Have you noticed how well suited both are to be converted to a touch interface. Most things can be done with sliders which are perfect for touch.

I suspect we will not see full versions of these programs, much like the photo app on the iPad vs iPhoto. I would love an iMovie iPad app that let's me trim, add titles, and a few transitions and upload.

Based on what Steve said at D8, you can expect to see the iPad become an even more capable content creation device as time goes by. Also, expect more and more of some of the powerhouse desktop app makers release iPad versions either as companion apps to the desktop or in some cases full version touch apps.

PaleoNerd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
Guys. Remember, the iPad was not designed to be and is not a computer replacement. I don't think that GarageBand, iMovie and the rest have any future on the iPad.

I understand that it is not a replacement, but having iLife on it would be a nice supplement. I mean who wouldn't want to do a little photo editing while you are out and about?

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004

which is why i think it could stand to have a bit more of iphoto like controls for touchups and something akin to iweb - a simple version of each. take photos, import onto your bad, update your blog on the go/on vacation etc. would be a good addition to such a portable device.

nilka

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2008
And there we go. Seems Like we did not have to wait so long after all as they are now showing off iMovie for iPhone

Boo ya to all you naysayers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.