iLife Free Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by menziep, Jul 26, 2007.

1. menziep macrumors 6502a

I have got a MacBook Pro on order which should come soon.

My question is IF apple release's iLife 08 on the 7th of August, would I be able to receive a free copy or a discount on it?

Have Apple done it in the past?

What would I need to be eligible for the Upgrade?

Sorry if this has been posted before.

Thanks

2. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

No. You won't be able to get a free updgrade.

3. LinuXtreme macrumors regular

LinuXtreme

I think the only time Apple gives a free upgrade (or a discount) for software or OSX is when they've officially announced a release date. Anyone who orders a computer with that application after the announcement but before the release is eligible for a discounted copy of the upgrade.

4. h110283 macrumors newbie

i ordered a 160gb HDD MBP from my university's campus apple store on monday july 23, and was told it would ship by aug 6. I just received word that the shipping date has been pushed back to the 8th of august. Is there a possibility that this is because they will include the new iLife on there? (if it is infact released aug 7). or is this normal for built to order machines?? any help would be appreciated...

5. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

I have a feeling that iLife will just be a part of Leopard.

6. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I agree. It's just been too long since the last update. Apple must be making iLife part of the OS.

7. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

I really doubt iLife will be built into Leopard, why not bundle iWork in there too for safe measure?
    The websites are up, the secrets have been all revealed (hardly)
    Apple will not go all out (again) on Leopards release...

8. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

iWork and iLife are two very different products. All new Mac purchases come with iLife for free, but that's not true for iWork. iLife is considered a part of the "Mac experience" it would make sense for the new OS to have it as a standard feature, much like web browsers and other simple applications are built-in. It makes perfect sense for iLife to be a part of the OS. It adds to the experience of the OS.

9. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

One of the more recent ads had the Apple Guy say something to the affect of "It comes with everything you need, iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie..."

That coupled with it being overdue for a release makes me think that they are bundling it with Leopard this time around. Afterall, Vista comes with similar apps bundled in and I doubt Apple wants to lose its advantage with iLife.

10. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

If that's the case (iLife bundled with Leopard), then I'd imagine that the usual $129 price tag will increase.

I'd say, $159 for a single license and $99 for education.

11. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

That's possible, but somehow I'm not sure. I still think that the regular pricing will apply when Leopard comes out.

12. LinuXtreme macrumors regular

LinuXtreme

Yikes! I hope that doesn't happen. I'm more willing to use an outdated version of iLife than I am an old version of OSX. I won't be happy if they force users to buy both.

13. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Sorry to tell you this, but Apple's philosophy is based on simplification. Apple is based on value, not on a bottom basement price system. If you do the math, $129+$79=$208. Paying $159 for both together would indeed save money for most people in the long run.

14. bkvideography macrumors member

yup, like i said before, i think the photos part of the sidebar in the finder will just show iphoto and the music will show itunes. you won't have the application itself.

15. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Naw, the names still have to be there; they're part of the brand. iPod+iTunes+iMovie+iPhoto. The "i" prefix has too much brand recognition to do away with.