iLife Integration

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by NSNick, Aug 11, 2009.

1. NSNick macrumors regular

Why don't the Apple applications integrate well together?
    Examples:
    iCal will not take birthdays from Address Book.
    Address Book will not take faces from iPhoto.
    iPhoto will not take event names from iCal.

These seem like obvious features.

Are there any third party apps that would do these things?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Well, Address Book and iCal aren't iLife applications.

I'm certain that the Faces idea and birthday idea would be very valid future features. Go ahead and request them on Apple.com.

3. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

The 'events' in iPhoto (more akin to a roll of film - in fact they used to be called 'rolls') are not the same kinds of events in iCal (which are calendar events). I don't see how they need to be linked. For example, an even in iPhoto might be "Kids at the pool". Why would you need to sync this to your calendar?

And it's supposed to guess which face you want to add? It is linked the other way around, though, and I do think it's a good idea. Once you have assigned a name from the address book to a face, this makes sense.

This can be done:
    Go to iCal -> Preferences -> check "show birthdays calendar".

4. NSNick thread starter macrumors regular

There is no reason for the camera rolls and calendar events to be treated as a different kind of event when the photos have dates and times in them. If the dates match up with the iCal then the event can be named based on what is in iCal.

It will know which face to take from faces because there is a default face on the cork board.

5. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

This suggestion doesn't really make much sense. What if I have a football game on my calendar and I take pictures of my kids eating lunch at that time? Do I really want the pictures labeled "Cowboys v Redskins"? I can see how it might work out every once in a while, but it wouldn't be helpful a large majority of the time.

This is a good suggestion.