ilife issue after data migration

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sclawis300, Aug 5, 2013.

1. sclawis300 macrumors 65816

I just bought a brand new macbook pro. Played with it a bit before I migrated all my data from my time machine backup. When migrating, it gave me some warning about not being able to have the same account user name. I stopped the migration and erased the hard drive. I then restored lion from the recovery disk.

I just finished setting my macbook up from my time machine drive that was running snow leopard. Now my iphoto is not the 2011 iphoto and the app store is telling me that I have to purchase it. What do I do to fix this?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You needed to go to the App Store after you started the new machine and the iLife apps would have showed up for you to "claim" your free iLife DL. After that they would have showed in your purchases list for redownload.

Now that you have missed the chance to claim your iLife DL from the App Store since you did a clean install first, you will need to call Apple and explain what you did, then they will fix you up with your free iLife apps in the App Store.

3. sclawis300 thread starter macrumors 65816

Shouldn't it show up if I did the original update when I first turned on my computer to play with it. There were 3 updates that were available. 1 was an OS update, 1 was iphoto and 1 was imovie. I did all three. Wouldn't you think that would register the purchase?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Nope... you had to go to the App Store and accept the free, included iLife apps under your AppleID. You are going to have to call Apple on this one.

5. sclawis300 thread starter macrumors 65816

I erased the hard drive again and logged in with my user name. It showed up properly this time. Not sure what changed but all is well now.