iLife/iWork '09 Worth it?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Nikolai01, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Nikolai01 macrumors newbie

Hey All,

Quick question. I'm planning to upgrade to SL from Tiger. The box set with iLife and iWork '09 will likely be $170. OTOH, I can pick up a brand new leopard for $85, and then do the $30 upgrade to SL, for a total of $115. Is iLife and iWork worth it?

I have an original MBP C2D. I currently haven't been using iPhoto or iDVD all too much. I also wasn't too crazy about Pages or Numbers '08 (I use Mellel and Excel). I've been wanting to learn Keynote, but haven't yet. Would it be worth it to get the box set, or should I just get SL on the cheap? Thanks.

2. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

I think that both iLife '09 & iWork '09 are well worth the upgrades. If you don't already have them, all the more reason to upgrade. You can download a trial of iWork '09 (no trial of iLife) & try it.

Of course, you do have to wait until September for Snow Leopard to be released, so that might affect your decision. Perhaps you can find a good deal on the current box set.

3. pan88 macrumors newbie

iLife/iWork '09 Worth it?

Numbers? definitely, in many ways (graphically) better than Excel, which however I still use when it comes to serious number crunching.
    Keynote? absolutely.
    Pages? merging with Address Book is a pure pain

4. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

I guess it depends on what you do and if you're already happy with the applications you use.

My choice for Word Processing is Bean - very light, small and powerful. But I don't have iWork. However, because I want Numbers and Keynote - I'm going to try Pages too.

5. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

Pages 4/iWork '09 can now merge with a Numbers spreadsheet. Also, fonts can be displayed in the actual font face from the format bar drop-down.

6. AmpCoder macrumors 6502

Yes, iWork '09 and iLife '09 are both worth it. I think the Snow Leopard Boxed Set is going to be a great deal for current Tiger users wanting to upgrade.

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I like iWork a lot, and for the price, the apps are an excellent bargain
    However, they are only a bargain if you plan to use them

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

8. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

I wonder what iWork '10 and iLife '10 will be like, perhaps they may use OpenCL. ;)