iLife, iWork 2009

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by RichardI, Jan 8, 2009.

1. RichardI macrumors 6502a

RichardI

Excuse my ignorance but I'm relatively new to Apple stuff. I already have iLife and iWork 2008. There doesn't appear to be any upgrade path to go from the '08 package to the '09. Am I going to have to buy the '09 stuff (at full price) to keep current, and if so, does Apple continue to update '08, or is it a dead end now?

thanks,
    Rich :cool:

2. Toddgabweg macrumors member

Toddgabweg

I am updating ilife 08 to ilife 09 for $71 (education discount), but iwork 08 is good enough for me for now... for me the added features of imovie 09 is worth the price (I was not a fan of imovie 08- I used imovie HD instead).

3. RichardI thread starter macrumors 6502a

RichardI

Interesting. It seems there are more similarities between Apple and Microsoft than I've been lead to believe. So, in fact there is no "upgrade" at all.
    I guess I'll "update" to iWork '09 and forget about iLife until SnowLeopard, which should come with a new version of iLife as part of the OS.

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Actually, no, because they've never done that EVER. It will be separate.

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Yeah, they're both in the business of making money. I think these applications are relatively cheap, especially compared to what else you can buy for $79, but that's a evaluation everyone has to make on their own.

6. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

If you want to be factual, iLife iis only offered as an "upgrade." Anyone that can legally run iLife 09 already owns a copy of a previous version.

iWork is different, but it is already pretty cheap compared to even an upgrade of Microsoft Office.

iLife is not considered part of the OS and will not be included with Snow Leopard.

7. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

It will update it if needed for system compatability. I believe they issued updates to ILife 06 after '08 was released. However, they will not add new features to '08 at this point--that's what '09 is. That said, '08 will continue to provide you with the exact same features it did when you purchased it or when it came with your computer. It's not obsolete--it just doesn't have all the newest features (for example, I continue to use iLife 06, which is plenty fine).

8. RichardI thread starter macrumors 6502a

RichardI

Jeeze, I don't remember buying iLife '08. I wonder if my iMac came with it? No matter, I never use it:eek:. I also rarely use any of the iWork apps, although I did buy that one for sure. I've tried them all out though. I also have Office for Mac, which I have found I do use so I'll likely just remove iLife and iWork at some point....
    Thanks for your input guys.

9. Achiever macrumors 6502

Achiever

Exactly, Apple bundles the current version of iLife with every new Mac purchased, but it is not part of the OS. It is just software included with your Mac purchase.