iPad iLife/iWork

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Prawnstar69, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Prawnstar69 macrumors regular

If I buy a new iPad air and get the free apple apps will it be saved to my apple account or will it only download for that specific iPad? If not can I transfer it into iTunes?

2. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Once you "buy" an app it is tied to your Apple ID and can be re-downloaded.

I bought iPhoto on my iPad a while back and was able to re-download it for free on my iPhone.

3. hallidc macrumors 6502

hallidc

Once you download those Apps they'll be saved to your Apple ID. You can then use them on another iDevice (iPad, iPod, iPhone) as long as you are using your Apple ID on it.

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Yup. I got the apps free with my iPhone 5S. I then downloaded them all onto my iPad 3 and mini, as well as copied them onto iTunes on my computer.

5. Mr.C macrumors 601

Same here. I got them free on my iPhone 5S and then synced them with my iTunes on my Mac and my iPad 3.

6. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

Ok, so here is an interesting question:

I've already purchased all of the iWork and iLife apps for iOS. My grandparents bought their first iPad in late August so they are missing out on the promotion by a matter of days (I think it's from September 1st onward?). So if I go to setup my new iPad Air or Mini Retina, can I log in with their Apple ID (which they wouldn't mind giving me) and in effect "gift" them the apps so that they will show up on their purchase history? Then they can install them on their iPad 4 and I can logout and go back to my Apple ID without messing anything up?

This would be great because I know my grandpa loved downloading photos from his vacations onto his iPad on the go and sharing them with the family. He could use iPhoto to touch them up and even use iMovie, like he does on his Mac, to put together photo montages. I know my grandma was also wanting something like Pages and Numbers for basic office tasks.

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

That should work. Make sure all settings relating to automatic downloads, automatic updates, and iTunes Match are off and remain off while you are logged into your grandparents' account. Turning any of those things on might tie your iPad to their account for 90 days.