Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
England
I was given a free copy of iLife '09 for the inconvenience of changing out 2 faulty MBP's. I installed in on one of the units, but now that has gone back to apple and I've been refunded. I have have a opened copy of iLife '09 of which I don't need because it was already installed on the 17".

Could I sell this copy of iLife '09 is would it be useless/illegal for someone else. I'm unsure about this and don't want to commit an offense, but at the same time I don't want to keep software that I don't need and since you don't put a key into the new software I wasn't sure how it worked with another Mac...

Thank You

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
You were given a free copy, installed it, and then returned it for a refund (point of consternation)?

And you have a second copy somehow, now, correct?

You need to keep that copy or delete iLife '09 from your computer if you sell it.

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
England
You were given a free copy, installed it, and then returned it for a refund (point of consternation)?

And you have a second copy somehow, now, correct?

You need to keep that copy or delete iLife '09 from your computer if you sell it.

No.

I had a early release of the unibody, this was faulty ad they sent me a new unit. For the inconvenience they sent me a copy of iLife '09 for free ( as it wasn't installed on the new unit). I installed that on the 2nd MBP unit, but this also went back and I was refunded for the unit. I still hold possession of the copy of opened iLife '09 but since the 17" MBP already has it installed I do not need the ' retail ' copy of iLife... And don't know what I can do with it.

NStocks

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
No.

I had a early release of the unibody, this was faulty ad they sent me a new unit. For the inconvenience they sent me a copy of iLife '09 for free ( as it wasn't installed on the new unit). I installed that on the 2nd MBP unit, but this also went back and I was refunded for the unit. I still hold possession of the copy of opened iLife '09 but since the 17" MBP already has it installed I do not need the ' retail ' copy of iLife... And don't know what I can do with it.

NStocks

Oh, refunded for the computer, not the free iLife. Well, since you broke the license by installing that copy of iLife on more than one computer, by keeping the copy of iLife that you have right now, you're back within the bounds of the license.

You need it. I don't care if you don't have to install it anymore, but legally, you need to keep it.

And what happens if your OS needs a clean reinstall? You'll have the disk to reinstall iLife '09.

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
England
Oh, refunded for the computer, not the free iLife. Well, since you broke the license by installing that copy of iLife on more than one computer, by keeping the copy of iLife that you have right now, you're back within the bounds of the license.

You need it. I don't care if you don't have to install it anymore, but legally, you need to keep it.

And what happens if your OS needs a clean reinstall? You'll have the disk to reinstall iLife '09.

I have only installed the copy on one Mac, and then uninstalled it...

So basically it can't be used on another Mac due to the licensing, not because it's physically impossible ?

NStocks

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
I have only installed the copy on one Mac, and then uninstalled it...

So basically it can't be used on another Mac due to the licensing, not because it's physically impossible ?

NStocks

Let's start over. You have a MacBook Pro. You installed iLife '09 on it, but have since returned the disk you used to install iLife to Apple, right?

And you have a second copy of iLife now, but you already have it installed, so you don't "need" that disk anymore.

Is that right?

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
England
Let's start over. You have a MacBook Pro. You installed iLife '09 on it, but have since returned the disk you used to install iLife to Apple, right?

And you have a second copy of iLife now, but you already have it installed, so you don't "need" that disk anymore.

Is that right?

Other way round

I HAD a 15" MBP, they got sent back for a exchange. The 2ND unit didn't have iLife '09 on it so they sent me ONE copy for free for the inconvenience... I installed that copy on the 2nd unit. The 2nd unit has gone back to Apple and I have been refunded, I still have the copy of iLife, and it was deleted from the MBP I sent back I purchased a 17" MBP that already has iLife onit therefor the copy of iLife they sent me is useless as I have this application on the 17" install discs...

... iLife has been installed on ONE Mac which has been sent back to Apple and I have been refunded. I still have iLife and I don't use it i.e. it isn't been used on ANY Mac as the iLife version I use was already installed on the 17" i.e. not a retail box etc.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
... iLife has been installed on ONE Mac which has been sent back to Apple and I have been refunded. I still have iLife and I don't use it i.e. it isn't been used on ANY Mac as the iLife version I use was already installed on the 17" i.e. not a retail box etc.

Gotcha, sorry about that.

You could go ahead and sell the retail iLife that you have, then, since if you have to restore, it's already on the disks that came with your latest computer.

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
England
Gotcha, sorry about that.

You could go ahead and sell the retail iLife that you have, then, since if you have to restore, it's already on the disks that came with your latest computer.

Great, that what I wanted :)

So by putting this opened copy on ebay I'm not committing a offense or such because it's already been uninstalled and Apple had probably thrown the HD with it on anyways... and the license will work on another Mac because we don't use keys anymore

NStocks

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
England
So could I sell it on ebay... I don't want to sell it, and the buyer is unable to install it because I had used it before ( no longer in use )

mgridgaway

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2006
There is no serial key or anything that'll tie ilife to anyone... You won't have any problems reselling.

Just think of it as a courtesy for having your mac screw up twice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.