iLife, .Mac. What in the heck is the difference?

-Josh-

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2007
I just orded my Mac the other day, it's suppose to arrive on Wednsday or Thursday.
I also ordered it with .Mac. (I'm gonna buy Applecare later) but now that I'm researching software, i see iLife is what I want? I thought iPhoto, iMovie, and such were included with the Mac.

What's up?

Thanks,

Josh

-Josh-

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2007
iTunes, iPhoto, iDVD, iMovie, etc. (the iLife suite) are included with every Mac.

.Mac is a group of online services meant to compliment any Mac and iLife. It costs $99 every year to renew. You can read more about .Mac here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.Mac
Then why do people buy iLife? I don't understand. If it's included, than why do people buy it?

Comment

CrzyCanuck72

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2003
all Macs come with the latest version of iLife preinstalled. When a new version is released, you have to pay to upgrade (except for iTunes, which is always free)

Comment

hanschien

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2006
Houston, TX
I just orded my Mac the other day, it's suppose to arrive on Wednsday or Thursday.
I also ordered it with .Mac. (I'm gonna buy Applecare later) but now that I'm researching software, i see iLife is what I want? I thought iPhoto, iMovie, and such were included with the Mac.

What's up?

Thanks,

Josh
iLife is a package that contains iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, iWeb and GarageBand and is included with every new Mac.

.Mac lets you share everything you create with iLife onto the internet with 10 GB of storage.

Comment

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Then why do people buy iLife? I don't understand. If it's included, than why do people buy it?
iLife is updated every year (or almost every year) and the upgrade is what people are paying for. Technically, they already have iLife, and are in no way required to buy the upgrade.

Comment

cmaier

macrumors P6
Jul 25, 2007
California
iLife is updated every year (or almost every year) and the upgrade is what people are paying for. Technically, they already have iLife, and are in no way required to buy the upgrade.
I wouldn't be surprised if iLife eventually becomes part of the OS and is just another part of the value proposition of OS X. Unless there is some antitrust/bundling reason they aren't doing it.

Comment

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
I wouldn't be surprised if iLife eventually becomes part of the OS and is just another part of the value proposition of OS X. Unless there is some antitrust/bundling reason they aren't doing it.
Like the $79 price tag?

Comment

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I really thought Leopard was going to include iLife and iWork all for $199. ...I was wrong.

Comment

cmaier

macrumors P6
Jul 25, 2007
California
Like the $79 price tag?
Apple seems to generally be smart enough to give up short term cash in exchange for long term gain. The more valuable they make the OS, itself, the more they sell, the more people switch to Macs, and the more hardware they sell.

I've used windows up until three weeks from now (when my MBP arrives), and MS charged $79 for "windows plus" which amounted to a fish screen saver, a couple themes, and some demo games. I don't begrudge Apple $79 for software that actually does something useful :)

Anyway, to the OP, your mac comes with iLife.

Comment

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
I really thought Leopard was going to include iLife and iWork all for $199. ...I was wrong.
Well, Leopard is about $110 if purchased at Amazon. And it includes iLife. And iWork is about $70.

So you're right! It's actually $180.

Comment

-Josh-

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2007
So will my macbook come with the latest iLife software?

Comment

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Well, Leopard is about $110 if purchased at Amazon. And it includes iLife. And iWork is about $70.

That's assuming your installing Leopard on a Mac with iLife 08 pre-installed. I was hoping for Leopard to include iLife 08 for older machines as well. ;)

If you're buying a new Mac, then yes.

Comment

-Josh-

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2007
That's assuming your installing Leopard on a Mac with iLife 08 pre-installed. I was hoping for Leopard to include iLife 08 for older machines as well. ;)

If you're buying a new Mac, then yes.
Yep, the 2.2 version. Thanks man.

Comment

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Wow, strong lack of awareness in this thread...

iLife used to be bundled with OS X. Not anymore. I highly doubt they will re-bundle them.

No. Leopard does not include iLife.

Yes, for the xth time.

Comment

-Josh-

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2007
Wow, strong lack of awareness in this thread...

iLife used to be bundled with OS X. Not anymore. I highly doubt they will re-bundle them.

No. Leopard does not include iLife.

Yes, for the xth time.
Thank you.
For the first time.

Comment

cmaier

macrumors P6
Jul 25, 2007
California
iLife has never (ASAIK) been bundled with OSX. iLife is included free with all new Mac purchases, but never with OSX upgrades.
Before it was "iLife," some of the programs were available free (itunes, idvd, imove, if i recall correctly). But, no, the entire suite was never part of the OS.

Suprising lack of awareness, indeed :)

Comment

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
iLife has never (ASAIK) been bundled with OSX. iLife is included free with all new Mac purchases, but never with OSX upgrades.
Yes it was bundled with Puma, Jaguar and Panther. When it was bundled with Puma and Jaguar, it wasn't known as "iLife", but in Panther, it was. At that time, you can buy iLife, even though it's included in Panther. The un-bundling begun with iLife '04.

Suprising lack of awareness, indeed :)
Indeed.

Comment

cmaier

macrumors P6
Jul 25, 2007
California
Yes it was bundled with Puma, Jaguar and Panther. When it was bundled with Puma and Jaguar, it wasn't known as "iLife", but in Panther, it was. At that time, you can buy iLife, even though it's included in Panther. The un-bundling begun with iLife '04.

Indeed.
Wikipedia seems to indicate otherwise. Of course, wikipedia has been known to be wrong...

Comment

Dybbuk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
I'm surprised OS upgrades don't contain iLife. Seems like it would be a great incentive. I can't ever see myself paying to upgrade iLife.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.