iLife on Second Install Disk

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by m0tifs, Apr 16, 2008.

1. m0tifs macrumors newbie

My mac had to get restarted because of a virus a while ago and we never installed everything on the second installation disk that's in the mac package (which has all the bonus stuff) and I need to install because I need to use something in iLife but to use the second disk it says I need to put in the first disk first, but I have no idea where it is, so is there any other way I can get into the second disk without using the first one before hand? I need to install iMovie but I'm not going to buy a new iLife when I already have it, so if anyone can help I'd highly appreciate it.

2. California macrumors 68040

California

You had to restart because of a virus? Macs don't get viruses. What kind of virus did you think you had? MR minds want to know.

Anyway, what kind of iMac do you have?

There are many versions. iMac G3 - iMac G4 - iMac G5 and iMac Intels

3. m0tifs thread starter macrumors newbie

It might have not been a virus but it was some kind of hard drive thing that kept the mac in a loading state (kind of the white screen with thing swirling in middle) and never changed and kept making that sound when it turns on (kind of computerized whizzing and then a hummmmm) at regular intervals and we could only turn it off by taking out the battery and we have no idea why it happened.

And sorry forgot to mention but I have a MacBook laptop.

4. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

What you have is not a virus. Most like a corrupted PRAM and/or hardware cache file.

"kind of the white screen with thing swirling in middle" - do you mean a grey screen with a spinning gear?

"kind of computerized whizzing and then a hummmmm" - do you mean a "bong"?

Anyway, I suggest you do the following:

Reset the PRAM and do a SAFE BOOT

At power up, immediately hold down the cmd-opt-p-r keys and keep holding them until you hear the third bong and then let go of the keys and then immediately hold down the shift key. Keep holding the shift key until the grey screen appears with the spinning gear and then let go. This boot will take some time as a lot of housekeeping goes on (cache files are deleted and rebuilt, file system is checked and repaired, etc). This could take between 5 and 10 minutes but eventually you will get a login screen with "safe boot enabled" in red. At the login screen, hit the back arrow button on the screen and select restart for a normal boot.

If this doesn't correct the problem you may have a hardware problem.

Also, if you run into this problem again (continuous recycling), you don't have to remove the battery. Just hold down the power button for about 10 seconds and the MB should shut off.

As far as your iLife restore problem, I can't help you on that since you are missing one of the restore DVDs.

5. m0tifs thread starter macrumors newbie

The computers been fixed, we had to send it out and they fixed it up and installed the first disk but not the second and I have no way of getting the first disk but I need to install the second disk (which is weird because the whole first disk is installed but it still asks to insert that one before I use the second one) and that's the problem.

6. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I believe you are out of luck then. A poster above me said that they couldn't help you since you are missing one of the restore DVDs. I have to agree.