ilife question: iDVD and iWeb

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by blueicedj, Jan 20, 2009.

1. blueicedj macrumors 6502

I was wondering if either of these have been updated for ilife 09'. iDVD seems like its getting a little old to me and I was hoping they might update it.

2. pdjudd macrumors 601

iWeb was updated but iDVD has not.

3. markfc macrumors 6502a

markfc

I think these two products will disappear when the next iLife comes around.

Most people upload there photos to Facebook/Myspace nowadays, who needs to have their own website? Especially with the built in Facebook uploading in iPhoto 09.

The same for iDVD, Nowadays I just export my homevids straight to AppleTV, or I'm showing them off on a MacBook.

I haven't produced a DVD for ages.

4. H$R macrumors 6502

H$R

If they decide to not develop those two apps any further, I would hope that they still include the last versions.

I rarely do a DVD (for what reasons anyway) but when I do, I just love iDVD. It makes it really easy and nice looking. I think they will find a few thing they could do better or maybe even new features.

I never used iWeb. First I don't really create own websites.
    And in college they taught us to create websites with Seamokey, so I just use that for the things I have to create.

But I think there still are people using iWeb. Not everyone wants Facebook and Flikr.

5. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

Sorry but you couldn't be further from the truth with this post. Both are great software and used by a hell of a lot of people. iWeb is fantastically useful, and the addition of 'facebook feed notification' is greatly underestimated. Connecting my personal site with my facebook site is an excellent feature.

These two programs will be around for ages to come and will not be phased out, only enhanced.

Dan x

6. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

What works for you may not work for others. Remember that. I don't use Facebook or MySpace, I prefer to have my own site that I can create and update easily - which iWeb is great for. Also, the ability to use one web address - as opposed to having family/friends create an account and log in to a social site - is much easier.

As for iDVD - again, your personal uses shouldn't dictate the direction that few will use. The Apple TV pales in comparison to those who have a DVD player. If I have home movies I want to send to family on the east coast, how do you intend I do that? Even if they did have an Apple TV? This is where iWeb comes in again, at least I can put them on the site - but that is only useful for small clips.

7. misterpasta macrumors member

8. blueicedj thread starter macrumors 6502

do you think they will do any updates for iDVD anytime soon?

9. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Not until Apple supports Blu-Ray playback.

Why are you so desperate for it to be updated?

10. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

im surprised that iDVD hasn't been mashed into iMovie

11. blueicedj thread starter macrumors 6502

I want to get iLife 09'...it just seems like they should update iDVD too. I've run into issues with it before, it made all my videos come out looking like crap, even the menu screen...I have no idea why. I was just hoping for some kind of update

12. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

iDVD sucks anyway. Use VLC media player.

13. fishcove Guest

I like iDVD. It's not a professional app by any means, but does what it does very well.

You use VLC to author DVDs?

14. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

i thought you were using it to play them :) no i use iMovie for simple things like that.

15. blueicedj thread starter macrumors 6502

is there a more professional app for burning DVD's made by apple?

16. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Yeah. It's called DVD Studio Pro, it's only available with Final Cut Studio and hasn't been updated since 2005!