iLife? Snow Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by blubox, Aug 27, 2009.

1. blubox macrumors member

How do I get iLife 08 (which came preinstalled) onto my Mac after I do a fresh installation of Snow Leopard (if possible) ?

Is it possible to do a fresh install of Snow Leopard? I've heard all sorts of things, but I don't know what to believe.

Will I just have to reinstall Leopard and then install Snow Leopard? (Will I have to get all the updates [10.5.x updates] once Leopard is installed before I install Snow Leopard?)

Thanks in advance!

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Use Disk 2 that came with your computer to reinstall iLife.

3. devburke Guest

You can install SL fresh, but the option isn't right there in the installer. You have to go to Disk Utility on the disc and erase your hard drive, then run the installation.

As for iLife, use the grey OS X discs that came with your computer. They contain both the OS it was shipped with (I'm guessing Leopard) and pre-installed software (i.e. iLife). There should be an "Additional Software" folder or something on the disc.

4. blubox thread starter macrumors member

Doesn't the installer need Leopard to already be on the hard drive before installation? Will the installer still install Snow Leopard if I have wiped the drive?

5. aethelbert macrumors 601

You can still do that via disk utility, though it is not a default option.

6. blubox thread starter macrumors member

Do I access disk utility through the Installer or before the installer?

7. devburke Guest

If I remember correctly from last time I booted into an OS X install disc (assuming it's similar now), you can click the menu bar to get to a few different things aside from just the installer, one of them being Disk Utility.

8. blubox thread starter macrumors member

And the installer won't care that Leopard is gone once the drive is wiped?

Edit
    "Insert your Snow Leopard DVD and click on "Install Mac OS X." When you reach the Snow Leopard Installer's "Welcome" screen, from the Utilities menu, choose "Disk Utility..." From there you can (say a little prayer) and format or repartition your Mac's internal hard drive. Once that's done, continue with the installation as usual." This seems to clear things up

9. steffi macrumors 6502a

Some users are going to be surprise that some features in iLife 08 aren't working in Snow Leopard. For me playing movies from iPhoto doesn't work at all.

10. DMGoldie macrumors newbie

iLife '09 and Snow Leopard Fresh Install

Hi ,

I just finished a fresh install of SL. iLife '09 was installed when I installed the retail version of Leopard. Now the laptop has SL but iLife '09 is missing.

Does anyone know how I can install iLife '09 from the Leopard disk...or do I have to purchase it separately?

Thanks,

dmg

11. Lordedmond macrumors regular

12. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

Do an 'erase and install' of Leopard .. install the iLife apps .. then do a standard upgrade of SL. That way you'll have a fresh install of all.

13. jamin100 macrumors 6502

Agreed - thats what i'd do

14. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

Or just do an erase and install of Snow Leopard and then install the iLife apps from the Restore Disc. Why would you install Leopard first? Then you WOULDN'T have a "fresh install" of Snow Leopard.

15. devburke Guest

Yeah, that was totally unnecessary. Fresh install SL, insert the Leopard discs, install iLife. No need to overcomplicate.

16. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

Thank you for the above information - I was wondering where my iLife went on my Mini. :eek: