iLife Update WWDC?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by WannaGoMac, Jun 1, 2007.

1. WannaGoMac macrumors 65816

Hi,

Looking to buy a refurbed macbook. Should I wait for WWDC as i want latest iLife.

1) Could there be an iLife update at WWDC or does ilife have to have Leopard?

2) Any ideas if ilife and leopard will get free upgrade coupons after WWDC? Has mac done this sort of thing in the past?

Thanks!

2. spyderracer393 macrumors regular

buy now. there is absolutely no way they will update such a consumer suite of software at a a devloper conference. they won't update or introduceany consumer software at such a conference, although they could show some of the features it will include.

3. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

I'm willing to bet they don't even update iLife this year.

Just because the name has a year in it, doesn't mean they have to update it every year. Has iLife ever been updated in the middle of the year?

4. WannaGoMac thread starter macrumors 65816

What about free upgrade coupons to leopard and/or iLife?

5. spyderracer393 macrumors regular

I have no idea why they include those...I have talked to people in the Apple store, and on Apple TeleSales...nobody knows what they are for and they don't do anything. Sorry.

6. WannaGoMac thread starter macrumors 65816

I don't understand. I was asking if Apple ever gives free upgrade coupons to the next version of Ilife and Leopard after WWDC when you purchase a new Mac.

Has Apple done this sort of promotion in the past to prevent a sales slump on new computers?

7. GAS macrumors regular

8. Igantius macrumors 65816

In the UK, it's been something like if you've bought a Mac no longer than 30 days before there's a new version of OS X is released, you can get a free copy but have to pay a handling fee ('bout £20).

9. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

It'd be nice if we got at least one upgrade at the WWDC, iWork would be good.

10. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

If by "no", you actually mean "yes", then you are correct.

Remember, Apple was supposed to release Leopard at WWDC, but they delayed it. Therefore good possibility of free upgrade vouchers for coputers bought after WWDC.

11. discodave macrumors member

Unless they decide to integrate iLife with Leopard, which they might. Then it will be demonstrated at WWDC, although not released.

12. warfa macrumors regular

i hope they give them away for free to people who buy after WWDC!:D

13. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I'm willing to bet that they update it with Leopard's actual release. How much do you want to put on it Dave? :)

14. warfa macrumors regular

can i get in on that for a 20??;)

15. GAS macrumors regular

When did they last give out coupons for an new OS longer than 30 days before release?
    Oh and by the way high possibility doesn't mean it will happen.

16. chipchen macrumors 6502

I bet they'll update iLife with Leopard.

On the coupons... no. You only get free upgrade ($20 shipping fee) if you purchase the computer after the release date of the new operating system and it's not preinstalled.

17. spyderracer393 macrumors regular

If you read the last sentence of my first post...you will see I said, "although they could show some of the features it will include."

18. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

I think people need to get away from the thinking that "....they do this and don't do that at WWDC".

They have always talked about Macs at MacWorld, and that obviously didn't happen this time around. So I wouldn't be surprised if they strayed from the status quo at WWDC. Of course I am speaking of the keynote, not the rest of WWDC.

19. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Remember that while WWDC is primarily a conference for developers, even the iPod 5.5G was released there - and the AppleTV was announced :)

I think that there could be updates for everything except the Macbook, including the iPods.

20. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

New iLife with Leopard in October seems a good bet BUT I can also see them delaying it until MWSF 2008 to allow more time to work on it given the iPhone and Leopard seem to be causing them resource issues.

The next iLife needs to expand - it cant be more of the same. Steve has also said .Mac is going to get a big update, I given the interelationship between the products I can see them coming out together - so more time to get it right.

BUT both iLife and .Mac need to work well with the new iPhone, so can see an update this month just to make them so - but not a new software version release - unless of course the Leopard delay was to allow work on iLife and .Mac to be ready to be released for the iPhone...sigh.

Could be anytime in the next 7 months.

21. discodave macrumors member

No need to be so anal. You said 'there is absolutely no way they will update a consumer software suite at a developer conference'. This implies that the reason lies in the fact the iLife is not a professional suite, whearas I was saying that if it weren't for the fact that Leopard is delayed until October, there was every likelyhood that it would be released.

There is a BIG difference.

22. WannaGoMac thread starter macrumors 65816

Well, i advised my friend to just wait a week to see what happens after WWDC. It's not like there is a shortage of refurb Macbooks and he is able to wait another week using his old PC for now...

23. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

"Good possibility" is closer to "yes" than "no".

And ask DigitalBiker. I don't know, but he's extremely adament that Apple have done it twice before.

And then there's again the point that Leopard should have been released by now. It was supposed to be released in April, I believe. If not, then it was meant to be released at WWDC, so either way, we would be getting Leopard with our new hardware. So coupons are again, a "good possibility".

24. chipchen macrumors 6502

Again, coupons... ZERO CHANCE. Apple has NEVER done this. And they never will. Why would they? They make so much on software upgrades... each OS release is like a huge infusion of cash for the company. And they've ALREADY publicly announced the delay. For them to do this would just be bad business.

In fact, if you think of it... delaying to Oct / Nov is smarter than delaying to Aug / Sep. It was probably intentional to delay the extra time. It COMPLETELY misses the back to school season, so people don't "wait to buy" for those purchases. And it's just in time for the holidays. It also means that with all the hype and buzz of Apple growing at above market trends, that Apple will indeed get MORE money from the upgrades than they would have. Think about it... if you're buying for back to school, you'd consider waiting if the OS was coming out in Aug or Sep. But beyond that, there's no choice, you must buy. Especially with whatever promo's are coming (usually free iPod and printer).

25. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Whoa. You really believe everybody is out to screw over everyone else in life, don't you?