iLife upgrade

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Vinny1967, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Vinny1967 macrumors member

I currently have iLife 08 installed on my macbook.
    A colleague whose 2 month old macbook was recently stolen offered to sell me the dvd that came with his: MacBook - Applications Install DVD.

Could I use this to upgrade my iLife 08 to iLife 09?
    Would it be the same procedure as installing the iLife 09 upgrade from Apple?

2. hiddenpremise macrumors regular

hiddenpremise

Somewhere between my imagination and reality
    The dubious legality of this question aside: No. The applications DVD does not contain iLife '09. If his computer shipped with it, then iLife '09 would be integrated into his operating system installer.

3. Vinny1967 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks - looks like I'd be better off buying the upgrade then.

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Incorrect. All newer Mac systems ship with an OS X DVD (which contains OS X only) and an Applications DVD (which contains iLife '09 + a few other option installs depending on the machine). This is a change from the previous method of shipping two OS X install DVD's that also included the iLife software. I believe this change started with the previous revision of iMacs or with the Unibody MacBooks/MacBook Pros.

That said, this is probably a grey area as far as licensing. While the software has not been uninstalled, the license is not valid for the person using it currently because they are using stolen goods. If someone stole my computer, I would feel free, for instance, to sell my Adobe license or Microsoft Office if I felt I was not going to replace the computer, but it could still result in problems if the software was in use.

jW

5. kitenski macrumors regular

kitenski

if he's a friend will he let you try it first?

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I hope you mean on his computer.