iLife11 and iLife9

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by zoran, Jan 6, 2011.

1. zoran macrumors 68030

What happens to iLife9 when iLife11 is installed
    1. do they both coexist in the system or is 9 deleted by 11?
    2. if they both coexist whats the purpose?
    3. how can 9 be deleted before 11 is installed?
    4. do the settings in iPhoto and the photo organization (and other apps) pass on to the newer 11th version?

2. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

iLife 09 is replaced by iLife 11.

Remember to run Software Update before you use iPhoto 11.

3. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

why run software update?

4. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

iPhoto 11 has a bug in which it may deletes your photos unless you update it. The chance of it happening is rather small, only a small amount of users were effected by it, but it is better to be safe than sorry.

5. iMacN00b macrumors member

I have done this, and also upgraded to iPhoto 11, but I now have a problem that the small multicoloured Mac version of the "HourGlass" comes up at regular intervals and the whole program hangs. :( Sometimes it comes back, but often I have to kill the process.

iPhoto9 was stable as a rock.

Have I don't anything wrong?

I did the following:

- Ran Software update
    - Installed iPhoto11 default settings
    - Ran Software update (iPhoto update)

I mostly get problems when making cards and photo albums. It just stops responding.

Is it easy to revert to iPhoto 9?

6. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

iLife 11 is the worst rendition of Life yet. It's the most buggy and unstable pile of crap made by Apple. Downgrading is easy. Delete the iLife Apps and then insert your iLife 09 disk and install. Worked a treat for me

The only problem is, is that your iPhoto library will now be incompatible with iPhoto 09. You will need to either rebuild it manually or use an earlier version from any backups you have.

7. iMacN00b macrumors member

Thanks! Do you think there is any chance Apple might fix the issues, or is downgrading the only real option?

8. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Since Apple have only recently released iLife 11, there is plenty chance for more updates with fixes in the future. However, at the moment, unless you can live with the bugs in 11, either getting something like Aperture or downgrading is the only option.

9. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

by saying bugs, what do you mean exactly, can you tell us what an iLife11 user may encounter in real... life? :D