iLint Trap

Doozy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2005
128
0
Is this happening to any of you iPhoneUsers out there. Lint is getting crammed into the the dock socket. The iPhone likes to travel with me where ever I go, We are hardly ever apart. God forbid I spend ten minutes without checking my email, or watching LisaNova (Freak) on YouTube. So during the time the iPhone spends in darkness residing inside my bluejean pockets, it is having an affair with my lint. The lint finds its way ito every little hole it can find, as it turns out link likes my iPhone just as much as me.


The problem is the lint is getting in the way of a proper connecttion to the dock or the dock cable. I can still sync, but I can't get a firm connention. I tried getting the lint out, but I am afraid of breaking the iPhones connector plate, or whatever it is called. The paper clips I have are to big, and I don't have anything small enough to get that cheating lint out of my iPhone. I will try freezing the lint out with some compressed air.

The best tool for getting lint out of this area is using a staple. It took me a good half an hour to figure that out.
 

Doozy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2005
128
0
I tried the compressed air and it wouldn't lodge the lint out. The lint was in there pretty good. I ended up using a staple, it was thin and ridged enough to pry it out.
 

cfairbank

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2006
406
33
Should invent an insert that would fill the space. They come with many of the cell phones I have bought in the past. Would make since in this case as well.
 

Craiger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2007
836
197
I know a few people who burn the extra lint off of their socks with a lighter so if you're brave enough you can try burning it out! lol

Seriously though, I would try some "canned air" which is what I use to clean out my laptop vents and the inside of my desktops. You can get it at radioshack and even Wal-Mart I think.

I wish it had come with inserts too. My old Samsung had them for every hole and I loved it....
 

keithos27

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2006
131
0
Should invent an insert that would fill the space. They come with many of the cell phones I have bought in the past. Would make since in this case as well.
the 1st gen ipods had that... dunno if they did away with them because the ipod became commoditized (and brought down prices and goodies included with the ipod) or if it was just considered not to be a long-term issue... curious to see if this really plays out to be an issue for the iphone. i definitely get the same problem (i assume everyone does, actually) but am not really sure how much of an issue the lint really is?

btw, is compressed air bad for the iphone in any way? especially if you turn a can upside down it sprays out partly frozen (or at least appears that way).... is that dangerous?
 

vinhmen

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2007
20
0
I've noticed lint also gets trapped in the tiny tiny sliver of space between the screen and the chrome bezel.
 

timotheezz

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2007
144
1
New Jersey
and the headphone jack... any place on the phone that is "open"...
I think after sniffing my headphone jack repeatedly today (smells good, what can I say?) I didn't see any lint.

However, I did see lint in the dock connector and I had to pry it out with a tiny piece of paper I created.

And I did see lint in between the screen and the chrom bezel. I used the canned air for that. Spray those particles right out! I was afraid to use the air for the dock connector though.
 

sacsig

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2007
18
0
I find that the dock is pretty easy to clean with compressed air, the earphone jack on the other hand though is not.

Somebody should make a rubber or plastic plug that would be flush with the phone. I would definitely purchase it.
 

Doozy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2005
128
0
However, I did see lint in the dock connector and I had to pry it out with a tiny piece of paper I created.
I made a few pieces of folded paper but the lint was crammed in there pretty tight. So the paper failed miserably.

Why not use a small piece of scotch tape? Not sure how long it'd last on the phone, but not usually sticky enough to leave a residue behind. Just an idea... even if not a great one :p
I tried this as well, using some tape attached to a paper handle, the lint was to heavy to lift out.

What finally got the lint out was a staple, and the staple was thin enough and strong enough to pry the lint from the crevasse.