ilisten installation problem ... disk is now blank

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by stormy67, Dec 31, 2007.

1. stormy67 macrumors newbie

Hi all. I am new to the forum and thrilled I have found it. I converted to mac (mini) about 2 1/2 years ago and have yet to discover anything past web surfing and email (a tad intimidated - till I found this place).

Anyway, I purchased ilisten for my daughter for Christmas. The plan was to install it on her G4 notebook and her desktop (also a mac mini).

She tried installing it on her G4 only to discover she must turn off filevault first (she is still working on this).

She then decided to try and install it on her mac mini. When she inserted the disk it showed up as a blank unreadable disk.

Can anyone familiar with this please walk us through this installation on turning off filevault and "recovering" (don't know the proper term) the data on the ilisten installation disk?

I appreciate any and all help.

Thank you.

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

i would suggest you try to connect a external DVD/CD-ROM to mini, and try to read the disk that way.

I.e. I think there might be something wrong with your mini's DVD/CD-rom

3. stormy67 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Clevin. Thank you for replying.

I took a great risk and inserted my Tina Turner CD and my new Pirates of the Caribbean DVD. Both worked well. Can I eliminate the possibility of a DVD/CD-R problem?

An external drive? Hmmmm..................... can I connect her laptop to her desktop in some way? It runs on her laptop.

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

no, you can't, DVD/CD-rom being picky is a hardware problem, most of the time it seems random(you can argue the thicker disk has better chance to be recognized), some disks work, some don't, its not totally broken, but it sure doesn't work as we wished, which should be near 100% of the time.

you can try to read the disk on her laptop, see if you can make a CD copy, or find a way to transfer the installer to mini.

5. stormy67 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, thank you. Let me try to make a copy of the CD.

6. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

no problem :)

Just to be sure, Im not saying the DVD/CD-rom of your mini is broken. This happens alot in many cases, DVD/CD-rom is a device that can get old pretty quickly.

7. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

On the Mac Mini, it could be a simple issue of having lint on the CD lens.

Might want to get a lens cleaner CD and see if that helps.

8. stormy67 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I burned three copies of the program. All three failed to open on the mac mini- they showed as "recordable cd's" but work fine on the laptop. All other software CD's are opening fine on the mini - only the ilisten is giving problems.

Uncle. It's just gonna have to go back I guess. I don't know what else to do and am tired of messing with it. This is ridiculous.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate your efforts.

9. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

If you really want iListen on the Mini, I'd just make an image (.dmg) of the CD using Disk Utility and copy it to the Mini.

10. stormy67 thread starter macrumors newbie

apfhex,

Thank you for the reply. I just saw this. Can you walk me through the steps? I do not know how to do this.

And stupid question follow up: What is image? Isn't that just putting a picture of the program on your computer for appearances but it's not functional in any way?

Thank you.