I'll be damned if I can't use only the keyboard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by portcontrol7, Dec 15, 2012.

1. portcontrol7 macrumors member

Thus far I've been an OSX user for a year or so, and there are still occasions when I have to resort to the trackpad. Here's an example:

Adobe products dialog boxes.

Darn it. Is there a one stop shop that is dedicated to avoiding mice and or trackpads or magic mice or whatever that anyone is aware of. I hate using the damn trackpad!

2. benwiggy macrumors 68020

OS X is designed mostly from the other perspective: that you should mostly only use the pointing device, and occasionally resort to the keyboard. Assuming further iOS convergence in the future, it's only going to get more like that.
    Are you on a laptop or a desktop? On a desktop, you may be able to find a pointing device that suits you.

However, there are lots of ways to do more on the keyboard. Defining keyboard shortcuts in System Prefs, and also learning the many existing shortcuts, many of which are not well-documented. The Accessibility controls can also help a lot.

As for Adobe, yes, they don't use standard Mac dialog APIs, so you won't get the same as elsewhere. Complain to Adobe about it.

There is of course a lot of automation you can do in OS X -- AppleScript, Automator, not to mention shell scripting -- as well as "macro" editors like iKey, KeyboardMaestro and QuickKeys, which record sequences of actions and recreate them on a keyboard stroke (or other event).

3. portcontrol7 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Ben, here's the deal, for the most part I can get away with only using the keyboard, it's rare circumstances that I have to use the trackpad, but its just annoys me that's all. I got a top of the line late 2011 MBP, and what brought me to OS X was stability and the mach kernel.