I'll benchmark Snow Leopard with Mountain Lion if people are interested

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Marcus263, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Marcus263 macrumors regular

I have Mountain Lion installed. I'm thinking of downgrading to Snow Leopard; it just worked for me and from what I remember it seemed faster as well. I did some research to see if there were any Benchmarks between Snow Leopard and Mountain Lion, there are non; so if anyone wants me to do a benchmark between the two, just let me know what software to benchmark with.

2. Huliodude macrumors member

That would be great actually. I'm running snow leopard on a mid 2011 machine and I'm concerned Lion would run slower than SL.

Thanks.

3. chrisby macrumors newbie

4. SanJacinto, Oct 7, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2012

SanJacinto macrumors regular

SanJacinto

That would be awesome.
    €15,99 is not much money, I know. But on the other side, first: €15,99 compounding on 18% for 25 years results in €1002, so in "future-value" this is a lot of money, second: in present value I could take the €15,99 and spend an evening with my girlfriend, for example visiting a cinema.
    So, I have to think twice before buying ML and killing my beloved SL.

All joking aside, Markus263 it would be great if you would use your time to show us some of the performance-wise advantages or disadvantages of ML towards SL.

I love SL. I do running my own "benchmarks" at the moment. I am using 10.6.8 on an Early 2011 MBP 2,3Ghz, 4GB RAM, 5400 HDD.

Boot up time varies around 30 and 35 seconds.

Right now it's up 34 days. In that time I played some games, watched a lot 1080i documentaries on youtube, did some work in Pixelmator, MS Office, iPhoto and a lot more stuff.
    On average my system is running 8 - 10 hours per day. Despite 34 days and round about 380 GB read and 300 GB written data I have on average 1,6 GB free of RAM. The system doesn't feel sluggish and it is a joy to work with.

I am not quite sure what Lion or Mountain Lion will feel like.

I did some search on Google and the three most recommended programs are:
    Cinebench, Xbench and Geekbench.