I'll buy a wee iMac an wait for Merom MBP's ... do'ya think?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mrfop, Mar 12, 2006.

  1. mrfop macrumors member

    Jan 21, 2006
    After trawling through the threads and studying what I can of the various pro's and cons of the MBP, I think I'm gonna plump for the 17inch iMac, giving it 1Gb of Ram, and then wait to get a merom MBP when they appear.

    I was gonna get the 2.0 ghz MBP with 256 graphix and max ram, but I don't wanna wait a few weeks in the murky knowledge that when I do get it there may be a whine (noise) issue from the CPU, from the screen or from the angle at which one holds the thing! Then there's the airport issue, which is not so much a problem in the iMacs (in as far as I don't mind wired connections so much). I want my MBP, when I get it, to last a good few years.

    In short it seems there's quite a few potential problems with the MBP in Rev A, and now many seem to be suggesting that Merom (or rather the 64 bit that Merom ushers in) is the platform of the next few years (see the 'Intel Merom ... due in September' thread). The new iMac has no problems with (fan) noise like it's G5 equivalents had 18 months ago, and it will save me over £700 if I go for it (as compared to the MBP). I would receive the iMac in a few days (not a few weeks) and I can then start saving for the Merom MBP for around the end of the year. :)

    I will be purchasing and running Logic Pro 7.2; it is not essential that I am mobile for the moment, plus if I do have to move the computer for the occasional Logic jam with my amigos the iMac ain't the heaviest comp on the planet. There is also the chance that the iMac will be upgradable to Merom via the socketed chip, but I may not bother with this.

    So the above are my thoughts on the (current) MBP versus the 17 inch iMac, and I'm almost certain I'm gonna go for the latter in the next few days. BTW I've used all machines in the Apple Store and I feel obliged to report that the 20 inch display on the iMac's is really quite beautiful (I can't afford it AND a MBP later in the year thou, so all those who have one and wanna try an sway me ... don't! :p ;) ).

    I always appreciate your thoughts.

    Peace. :cool:
  2. asencif macrumors 6502

    Dec 21, 2005
    It seems like you are not in a desperate need of a mobile, so waiting is no problem. I too want to get a MBP when Merom comes out since it was what initially what Apple wanted in that laptop. Also, it is 64-Bit and will give it even more life when all apps are built for 64-Bit. Of course many argue that right now it dosen't matter and it's true, and even most apps are performing faster on 32-Bit, but Apple had moved to 64-Bit with PPC and Intel is now going to do the same in the fall.
  3. After G macrumors 68000

    After G

    Aug 27, 2003
    If you don't need constant mobility, desktops are usually the better choice.
  4. DeathChill macrumors 68000

    Jul 15, 2005
    I want to buy a Core Solo Mini and wait for Merom and see if they can be upgraded properly. I'm hoping so but if not, I'll just upgrade to a Core Duo as the prices will obviously drop quite soon afterwards.

    However, I was under the impression Merom won't be out for a while yet?
  5. Aramis macrumors member


    Feb 25, 2006
    East Coast
    Moved out to 4Q. So it depends on what you consider a while.
  6. white89gt macrumors regular

    Jan 18, 2006
    I've got a 17" Intel iMac with 1 gig of ram and the standard video card. Coming from a laptop I thought that I'd miss the mobility, but I don't. I'm 100% satisfied with my purchase. If you're seriously thinking about getting an iMac, then the one that you specified is a great machine.

Share This Page