ill there be any killer, gb sized apps?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mrcalabash, Mar 11, 2011.

1. mrcalabash, Mar 11, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2011

mrcalabash macrumors member

My question: Are there currently or will there be in the future any very large iPad apps? And I understand that it's not just the size of the app, but also the potential size of associated data files.

I'll confess, this is sort of a what size ipad should I get thread.

I started with an iphone 3g, 16 gb. After two years had about 2gb free.

Now I have iphone 4, 32 gb, since June. Have about 20gb free.

Getting an iPad, and although I'm a casual gamer--Angry Birds, Backgammon, Trivial Pursuit--I could see my son who is a serious (he built his own quad-core computer) type of gamer glomming on to the new toy.

I googled, and it's hard to get a list of app sizes, but I found that Navigon is 1.7 gbs. That's the biggest I found, and if I were going to use it it would be on my unlimited plan iphone.

The California Bar Exam exam--one of the most expensive at $999--is only 567 mbs.

My son already plays Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty and they're in the 50mb range.

I'm a writer so I might using Pages with a bluetooth keyboard, but on my phone the pdf of my 250 page book is only 1.2 mb.

So, any hundreds of mb or gb sized killer apps apps s in the pipeline?

2. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

Why does size matter? It's quality not quantity.

(whatever helps me sleep at night, right?) :D

3. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

Infinity Blade, Real Racing 2 HD, Rage HD, some other games. Most of the apps that take up 1GB or more are games.

4. poloponies macrumors 68030

The Elements is the interactive version of the coffee table book. It's an indication of what could be done with the iPad format. It's a beautifully done "book" that lets you select an element from the periodic table, view its properties, see 360-degree views of the element in its raw form or samples of items made from it (in 3D even) and it contains Wolfram's Alpha search engine letting you see economic and statistical information.

All in a 1.71GB package (ouch).

5. mrcalabash thread starter macrumors member

That's the type of comment that makes me want the 64gb.

My wife who had a cell phone without even a camera is now inseparable from her iPhne 4. She's saying, " What do I need an ipad for?" I heard that before.

I know that one of the main uses I'll have for the iPad will be to stream Netflix, but I could see being very interested in Element type apps or books--something graphics intensive like a World Atlas, astronomy app, and many other conceivable reference type apps.

I'm thinking an iPad will replace my computer except for serious writing and research that requires easily manipulating many windows and a mouse, but I expect that I'll often be shooting over content from the pad to the computer.

6. edk99 macrumors 6502a

These 2 apps already exist.
    ZorroGPS USA is 1.82 GB
    NavFree USA is 1.76 GB

7. poloponies macrumors 68030

My wife has her iPad with her constantly. She never had a desire for a notebook but was tempted when netbooks started popping up. I convinced her to hold out for the iPad and for her it's a 100% substitution for a computer. When The Elements came out I was hoping that similar coffee-table type books would follow but nothing yet.

8. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Navigon is 1.6GB plus 500MB update for Panorama View. And thats on my iPhone, I'm sure its bigger on the iPad.

9. ghostlyorb macrumors 6502a

ghostlyorb

iPad games take up more space than iPhone games =) I'm getting the 32GB.. safe than sorry.

10. Nde macrumors 6502a

Nde

Like the previous poster, Nav apps and my MxTube. EA Sport Games can take 1-2 GB each as well.

11. mrcalabash thread starter macrumors member

I'm leaning now towards the 64gb. Better safe than sorry, especially since I'm thinking an ipad purchase will indefinitely defer a new computer purchase costing hundreds more.

12. Mickief macrumors newbie

I think 32 gb is the minimum to consider. Games developers are going to take advantage of the increased graphics processing of the iPad 2 and that spells much larger app file sizes. (For that matter, it won't be just gaming apps--I'm sure there will be all sorts of graphically intensive apps in the works very shortly.)

As an aside, have a look at this for a potential writing app: http://www.informationarchitects.jp/en/writer-for-ipad-first-reactions/

I was planning on Pages myself, but have decided to give that a go instead, just as soon as I get my iPad 2. (Living in France, I have to wait until after the 25th.)

13. mrcalabash thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. Interesting.

The killer writing app will have to include the ability to track changes on a Word doc. I've read that there is nonesuch, although I came across an app that allows you to see changes but not add your own. I think that for business/professional/academic environments where there is collaboration on a doc or interaction with an editor, track changes, I hope, is inevitable. If I knew how to code, I'd write it myself. (I had a friend, who back in the 1980s dinosaur days coded his own word processor--because he was cheap, and just for fun.)