Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alonzo1

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
Hypothetical situation:

If I know someone who has the instalation discs to a program like Final Cut Pro, is it illegal if I borrow them and put Final Cut Pro on my Mac?

If not, is it illegal if I make money with the videos I create?

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
illegal. software licenses belong to those who own the discs and have them in their possession.

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
Agreed. Lest you acquire them in trade or barter.

In which case I assume your friend would have to uninstall the software?

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
It's illegal. However, your friend could even give it to you free as long as he/she uninstalled the software from their machine(s) and didn't keep a copy for themselves.

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
Alonzo1 said:
If I know someone who has the instalation discs to a program like Final Cut Pro, is it illegal if I borrow them and put Final Cut Pro on my Mac?
Yes, it is illegal.

...is it illegal if I make money with the videos I create?
The only thing worse than using illegal software is using illegal software to make money.

I know people who used software they didn't own to learn an application, but if you are making money using an application that you don't own then you've stepped out of the gray area and into completely unethical behavior.

Every application I own has paid for itself. When I wanted/needed Adobe LiveMotion I downloaded the demo from Adobe (30 days) and did a job using that demo which paid for the full version.

If you are making money then you are no longer a tinkerer or hobbyist, you are now a professional and should act like a professional.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.