Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WiiMarioHacker

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
I have been pondering this question: Is Apple doing something illegal by trying to stop jailbreaking? Jailbreaking was just OK'ed by the government, so Apple is breaking the law, right?

brayhite

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
N. Kentucky
No, it's their product, Apple can do whatever the hell they want to it

This.

And https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/977086/

This has been discussed to death. The basics:
while it's legal to do, does not mean Apple may not take steps to prohibit you from doing it. E.g. it's legal to smoke cigarettes provided you are over 18, but a restaurant may bar you from their dining room area if you smoke.

Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA
I still find it interesting that when jail-breaking is legal, Apple goes at end to stop it, thus, going against the Government's new law.

Apple still designs and manufactures the iDevice line, meaning they have all rights to control what content is legally placed on the device.

The fact of the government passing the new law just means that you won't get prosecuted for having a jailbroken device.

Apple can still control if you jailbreak or not though

Block

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
The ruling just said that jailbreaking is not in violation of the DMCA. It stated nothing else about other laws it could possibly break and did not grant it any other special exemptions. It basically stated what had been known all along.

KFujiwara

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2008
The only thing the new rule does is clarify that it is not copyright infringement to jailbreak your iOS device (or rooting other devices). Basically, Apple can't sue you for jailbreaking by claiming it as breaking copyright. Apple still has every right to prevent jailbreaking since iOS is their software platform.

EDIT: Looks like you beat me to it.

dagomike

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2007
I still find it interesting that when jail-breaking is legal, Apple goes at end to stop it, thus, going against the Government's new law.

The FCC just took a position that it deems it legal under current laws. Doesn't mean it can't be tested or new laws enacted. All it means is men with guns won't put you in a cage. It doesn't apply to what Apple may or may not do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.