Illicit Gift Cards

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dcpwner, Jan 9, 2011.

1. dcpwner macrumors newbie

Hey all,
    Was wondering what I should do if I just found out that an iTunes gift card I'm using was purchased with a stolen credit card. My friend did not tell me they were illicitly purchased, but I don't want him to get in trouble or myself. Does anyone have any ideas on what I should do?

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I would give them to the police, along with the name of your friend. If you're not comfortable with that, then they should be destroyed (although, doing this would be tampering with evidence). I'd also reevaluate my friendship with him, but that's just me.

Is this a card you already redeemed on iTunes?

3. dcpwner thread starter macrumors newbie

no, i definately do not want to turn him in, the only reason he told me is because he realized it was a mistake and returned other stuff he bought with the card, so...yeah

and yes, i had redeemed them already, I am thinking of just asking apple to remove the money from my account, if they can do that.

its the same concept as buying one for cheaper on ebay without knowing it was stolen, I was also wondering what would happen in that scenario? If anyone knows

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Since you have already redeemed them, I don't think there is any way of returning it without admitting that they were stolen in which case you would have to turn in your friend or lie and say you stole it which would probably be worse.

5. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

the way i understand it is, your friend stole a credit card and bought an iTunes gift card.

you don't want to get in trouble yourself? i would suggest finding legal advice. real legal advice, not the maclocks of macrumors.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Not sure that there is anything you can do at this point without getting yourself or your friend into trouble. If it was me I would donate the amount of the gift card to a charity of some sort. And as an earlier poster said, I would re-evaluate my friendship with this person.

7. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

There's probably no harm in contacting Apple, explaining the situation, and asking for the credit to be removed. I doubt they would turn you over to the police or take any other legal action.