Illuminated keyboard issue, help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pb1300, Aug 21, 2009.

1. pb1300 macrumors 6502a

Last night, I was having issues with the illuminated keyboard. It would flicker on and off, but when I restarted the machine, I had no issues. This morning I wake up and press the F6 key to brighten it up and see of its working, and the levels wont move at all, and all i get is the O with the \ through it. Any suggestions? Something I did possibly? Im in Greece right now, so its going to be hard to get it to an Apple store. The only time I will be able to do that is when my Aunt goes back to NY. She can take it there for me and ship it back. Thanks for the help!

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Several things may be causing this. First thing you should check is if the Ambient Light Sensor is enabled in System Preferences, under Keyboard. Try turning it off, and adjusting the keyboard illumination manually. If that works, then you have a broken sensor.

If that doesn't change anything, then the cause might be the backlight below the keyboard not working as it should. Yet another possible cause is a corrupted driver for this part of the system - if this is the case a reinstall of Mac OS X should cure it. The other two problems require taking the Mac in for service.

3. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

Like the above poster said, either it's the ambient light sensor, or a driver problem. Take it into a Genius bar to have it looked at if you still have the problem under the same light.

4. koops macrumors regular

I am having this same issue after installing snowleopard? Get a circle with a line through it? The keyboard was illuminated after install but I could nit change the gradient of light so tried turning off and on in system preferences and then it wouldn't come on at all? Anyone else having this after installing sl?

5. cdaugherty macrumors newbie

Having the same issue post snow-lep install and looking in the keyboard prefs there is no option I see to enable it.

6. karthiks macrumors newbie

Same here post SL install :( How do I get my ambient light sensor working? Even my screen doesn't change brightness

7. HBOC macrumors 68020

That is really wierd. I haven't had this problem, but there are others that do have this problem... Software is up to date? I would make an appointment at the genius bar. It has to be some sort of software issue..