Illuminated keyboard not working..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xgreatescapex, Sep 18, 2009.

1. xgreatescapex macrumors newbie

I recently spilled a protein shake over my mb pro. It spilled on the right side, but I quickly cleaned it with a wet tissue and dried it up. The problem, now, is that the illuminated keyboard isn't working..only a few random keys are working and the rest aren't..

What should I do? I have a 1 year warranty left, but I'm not sure it'll be covered.

2. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Damage caused by the user isn't going to be covered under your warranty. Your best option right now is to be hoping there's not residue of some kind in there eating away at something else.

3. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Never have the computer near food and beverages. They don't play well with electronics. They are just plain evil. :(

4. xgreatescapex thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I've realized that I shouldn't do so, but how can I fix it?

5. Hayduke60 macrumors regular

If you can operate a screwdriver, go to Ifixit's website and check out their disassembly of a MBP. Take yours apart and clean everything that was in contact with the protein stuff. There are light pipes that transmit light from LEDs to the keys. Make sure they got no goo on them. If it's something not working, well then, you need to take to someone who can fix it.

There are several websites that explain how and what to use for cleaning circuit boards. Good luck.