Illuminated keyboard stoped working after 2 months

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hendilemos, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Hendilemos macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I've noticed this night that my macbook pro's illuminated keyboard is too weak. In reality it didn't stop working, but is far away from the strong light it emitted when arrived. Anyone with the same problem ?

I saw some people complaining about that. Is this normal ? And why Apple keep with this function if it's always messed up ? Is it only a good image to market ?

Any connection with the last keyboard update ?

2. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

Is it dim also at its brightest setting?

By the way, FWIW :D
    stope |stōp|
    noun (usu. stopes)
    a steplike part of a mine where minerals are being extracted.
    verb [ intrans. ] [usu. as n. ] ( stoping)
    (in mining) excavate a series of steps or layers in (the ground or rock).
    • [as n. ] ( stoping) Geology the process by which country rock is broken up and removed by the upward movement of magma.
    ORIGIN mid 18th cent.: apparently related to the noun step .

3. Hendilemos thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah.

I've tried changing the dim setting, but it doesn't change nothing. I have to turn the screen to the minimal to see the illuminated keyboard.

I know they have nothing to do with each other, but the keyboard is so weak that I don't even notice it if the screen is on. With minimal I wanna say totally blank screen. This is ridiculous.

4. SVT Amateur macrumors 6502

Well, you should have a 1 year warranty. I'd send it in.

5. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

Seconded. It sounds like a warranty issue, which should be readily resolved by Apple no problem.

6. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

I think your settings are set to the dimmest setting. My MBP's keyboard backlight is the same as you describe when on the lowest (dimmest) setting.

7. Hendilemos thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm sure it's not the dim settings. Since I noticed the problem, I obviously began trying with the F8, F9 and F10 buttons in the MBP's keyboard.

Thanks guys, I'll send it for repair. My only doubt is about the time it would take. Hey nsbio, you said it would be "readily resolved". How much time do you think ? Do you have any experience with the same problem ?

I bought this machine in the US, but I'm in Brazil right now. I know I'll have no problems with the warranty, my girlfriend sent her macbook to repair here already. But I don't know if they'll be as fast as in the US.

Would it need some part replacement ? Something that I'll have to wait to come from US ? What do you think guys ?

8. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

I have no experience with Apple service outside the US. Within the US, they usually return the laptop within 3-4 days (including shipping etc). For Brazil, you might want to ask around in your local forums. :)

9. Hendilemos thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks anyway. I'll call the authorized reseller my girlfriend called last time. We don't have Apple Stores here.

And I'll take my girlfriend's black macbook together by the way. It is with a keyboard problem too: sometimes, all the keys "ZXCVBN...", all this line, suddenlly stops working. I thought the last Keyboard Update would fix that, but the problem continues.

I'm a real Apple fan, I have no complains about my previous macbook, actual macbook pro and ipod nano. But this little things turns me crazy too, they're always with little bugs. My MBP's keyboard stoped working sometimes in the first days I used it and the chassis is far away from perfectly aligned. This baby was just taken out of the box.

None of this problems compromissed my productivity (the MB and MBP keyboards usually come back to work in a few seconds, or minutes), but Apple should take care with this or quit with the phisical keyboards and put big multi touchs in the place. :D