illuminated keyboard

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MrSt0nEd, Aug 23, 2009.

1. MrSt0nEd macrumors newbie

Hello Mac world,,,

I just bought me a MacBook, about time should'v done that looong time ago, what a great machine!
    the only mistake that i did is not getting the one with the illuminated keyboard :(
    i do use my macbook in the dark, and i wanted to check with you guys, Can i change my keyboard to an illuminated one? is it possible without changing the whole macbook? if so, you think it would cost me my left arm?

I tried searching in apple store, but found nothing,,, can anyone help me in this?

Thanks!

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

You need to buy the whole keyboard and palm rest piece. I think ifixit.com sells it but it will cost you.

I'm using the illumination right now in my pitch black room right now. I hardly ever use it to be honest.

3. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

Hi there,

Congrats on your first mac!

Since you don't have the illuminated macbook, i'm guessing you got yourself one of the white ones? They don't make them with illuminated keyboards as far as I know, so their motherboards don't have the capability to support one to start with.

All unibody macbook pros have the illuminated keyboard now.

So unfortunately, I don't think you'll be able to add that feature in yourself or by asking apple nicely if they'll do it for you.

How's about something like this? ;)

[​IMG]

4. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

The Aluminum MacBook was released with a 2.0GHz without illumination and a 2.4GHz model with illumination. The OP must have the 2.0 model.

5. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

mhhh but then OP said "just bought me a macbook", which would suggest that he bought one within the last couple of days?

OP, which one do you have?

6. Zazoh macrumors 6502a

Zazoh

Do people actually look at the keyboard? If you use a computer long enough you don't need to. And, if you are in the dark, your screen should provide enough illumination.

It is a gimmick if you ask me.

7. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

I do look at the keyboard and find the backlit keyboard a boon. It is especially true for keys that are relatively infrequently used, such as the F keys. Having them lit makes finding them in the dark a lot easier. And light from the screen itself only works if the screen is not tilted back far enough. If I type in a dark bedroom while lying in bed, I am unable to see the keys of my PB without backlighting. I'd say, having owned a backlit PB for over 4 years, I will not have a keyboard in a portable without backlighting.

8. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

I find that I don't need to look at the keyboard at all when I'm in the normal office-position (sitting on a desk etc). But when I'm lying in bed and being lazy then the position of the hands change and I can't touch-type as well anymore. So in that case it does become helpful to have an illuminated keyboard.

The screen-technique only works when it's actually facing down onto the keyboard.

Fabian

9. MrSt0nEd thread starter macrumors newbie

I have the Aluminum MacBook with a 2.0GHz without illumination, 4G RAM.
    sry for the confusion,, but I just bought it like a month ago lol...

yeah,, on my planet they do,, specially when you use a lot of short cuts,, and the light from the screen isn't all that when u have ur screen on an angle over 90 degrees..

Thx fabian9! ill def check out that USB thing..

one question, What is OP ?lol?

10. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Original Poster ;)

11. no.1 Apple Fan macrumors regular

no.1 Apple Fan

There's a cool website called USB Geek that sells a lot of those usb lights for $10.
    www.usbgeek.com