Illustrator CS2 and Font Problem

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by fuzzface71, Apr 13, 2008.

1. fuzzface71 macrumors newbie

New forum member here.

I've had this problem for a few weeks now. And I really don't know what to do.

A few weeks ago, I decided to delete a few fonts that I think, I won't ever need, but before I can actually delete them, I got a message saying "some fonts can't be deleted". So, I figured I put them back to my font book.

Anyways, after that my Illustrator CS2 won't open anymore. Photoshop and others would still work. Did I screw up my fonts? A friend has suggested to uninstall and then re-install just Illustrator (w/c I did), but that didn't work either.

My Font Book has 243 Fonts and my Font Folder only have 167, is that normal?

Now, I have a .html file that I can't delete/trash. And my Illustrator CS2 still won't open. I figured maybe, I'll just re-install Tiger and start fresh? Or is that a bad idea? Can I fix this problem myself? (with your guide of course)

I really need help. I need my Illustrator to do a project.

Thanks in advance. :(

2. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

What happens when you try to open Illustrator? I think perhaps fonts were in use when you tried to delete them and they wouldn't. Any program you had open may have had the option to use them upon selection? I think perhaps reinstalling Illustrator would come before an OS reinstall.

3. JE-Illustration macrumors member

JE-Illustration

Yeah this is normal. There are actually multiple places to keep fonts.
    home/library/fonts
    Hard drive/library/fonts
    Hard drive/System/library/fonts
    OS 9 system/fonts

You don't want to mess with the system fonts. If you are in font book and under the "all fonts" it's going to show all your user, computer, and classic fonts.

I would probably go through all your fonts in font book and resolve your duplicates.(fonts with • after them). This can sometimes cause problems. You also have a font folder in your Adobe Illustrator folder that's in your applications folder.

You could also try trashing the preferences file to see if that's corrupt.
    home/library/Preferences/com.adobe.illustrator.plist

If your other programs are opening fine and not being affected I wouldn't reinstall your OS, I would think the problem lies with your adobe Illustrator application. After you uninstalled did you do a search for "Adobe Illustrator" just to make sure all illustrator program files were trashed?

I guess as a last resort you could install the OS, but I wouldn't think that to be the problem.

Hope this helps any.