Illustrator CS3 & Leopard 10.5.2 slow, freezing, text issues

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by uzzidesign, Feb 13, 2008.

1. uzzidesign macrumors newbie

uzzidesign

Adobe claims in their Leopard compatibility pdf http://www.tuaw.com/2007/10/28/adobe-updates-cs3-leopard-compatibility-info/ that Illustrator CS3 works with Leopard. This is as true as the statement that Photoshop CS3 works with Leopard. The 10.5.2 update seemed to fix most issues with Photoshop, but Illustrator is still buggy.

1. Has anyone else experienced any problems with Illustrator CS3 in Leopard? Anytime I select any text (whether with the text tool or with a double click from the black arrow selector), the program slows down and the text responds with a delay, sometimes freezing for minutes. I found something online about HP drivers being the problem. I removed them but am still having the problem. Problem exists in 10.5.1 and 10.5.2. The problem happens in any AI doc where I have any text, regardless of whether there is a lot of text or just one line and one font, so it's not a memory/paging/preview issue.

2. Another problem I am having is that many of my vendors claim that they cannot open any EPS that I export. I've tried exporting them is EPS AI 8 thru CS3. I never had this problem with CS3 in Tiger with the same vendors, so I don't think it's the vendors' software.

Other information:
    I am using Font Agent Pro and Managing System Fonts. I have tried restoring and un-managing system fonts with no effect. I have scanned all my fonts for corrupt fonts, all fonts are ok. All Apple and Adobe updates are current.

System:
    mac pro
    Intel 2 x 2.66 Dual-Core Xeon
    2 GB DDR2
    OS 10.5.2
    All Adobe Updates are current.
    All Apple Updates are current

2. Darkroom Guest

Darkroom

im in the same situation as you. Illustrator CS3 on Leopard is agonizingly slow. often 10-13 bounced in the dock even before the splash screen. i feel there a major issue with memory leaking, as it takes forever to close down. i tried art mapping earlier with the 3d bevel effect and none of the symbols would stick. the symbols that would stick were all distorted. this is really a nightmare, and i'm offended greatly that Adobe has done nothing about this at all.

3. TitanJeff macrumors regular

TitanJeff

Same issue here. I'm helping a number of students who are having problems with Illustrator freezing using 10.5.2. Tossing the preference doesn't help. If anyone finds a solution (Adobe isn't any help), please let me know.

4. uzzidesign thread starter macrumors newbie

uzzidesign

I fixed it, sort of.

Since initially posting this, I uninstalled my Font Management program (Font Agent Pro), and moved all of my user fonts. This fixed it for me. Illustrator runs fine for me for the time being. I've been using Font Book to activate fonts as a I need them, but by no means am I happy about it, nor do I consider this a permanent solution.

I have tried reinstalling Font Agent Pro after the above, but the problem recurs.

5. moto2mtb macrumors newbie

macbook pro - illustrator freezing

i have the same problem with illustrator freezing all of the time, although i don't really use fonts a lot i find that illustrator freezes and renders my MBP useless and i have to reset using the power button. even my mouse and keyboard are useless i was playing music and when i shut the lid of my computer the music kept playing and the MBP did not go into sleep. i am running the Adobe Creative Suite 3 Web Premium with dreamweaver, flash, photoshop, illustrator, fireworks, acrobat 8 pro, and contribute. all of these are CS3 and i am running leopard with the latest updates. it is very problematic trying to use this software and adobe is no help if anyone has any answers please help. i also am now going to un install my hp drivers after reading they might be causing this problem.

thanks

-bear

6. uzzidesign thread starter macrumors newbie

uzzidesign

7. thehuhman macrumors member

thehuhman

Illustrator CS3 upgrade problems.

Since upgrading to CS3, i have had the same type of problem. Not only with Illustrator, but also with InDesign. After what seems like hundreds of attempts to isolate or at least get closer to the problem, I am still perplexed. It has been over 6 weeks of hell for me, as I have wasted so much time and lost so much productivity. Adobe has really let me down. In fact, I am getting ready to ditch the upgrade, and go back to CS2, for all of my Adobe products. The next time I consider upgrading an Adobe product, It will be done with an abundance of caution.:mad:

8. skviki macrumors newbie

You probably resolved your situtation by now in some way but here is the reason for slowdown I found:
    Fontagent's illustrator plugin is responsible fopr the slowdown. If you find the 3.3 plugin for illustrator it will work normally but fontagent 4 plugin is in someway bad.