Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChocoboNL

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2008
Dear reader,

I currently have a problem booting Illustrator CS5 in Mac OS X 10.8(.4). I don't use Illustrator a lot, but I am pretty sure the problem was introduced upon upgrading to OS X 10.8. All other CS5 products are working just fine.

When booting Illustrator CS5 in my regular account, it instantly quits 'unexpectedly' (albeit it is to be expected by now, really). This is only when I am on my regular user account, when I open it in my Guest user account it works just fine as well as in the newly added admin user I just created.

This suggests to me that it is not so much a problem with Illustrator itself, but rather with my user account('s preference settings). I have already tried removing Illustrator preference files from my regular user account's library and also replacing them by 'fresh ones' from the guest user account. This does not help, however.

I am currently abroad and will be so for a while, therefore it is less than ideal to reinstall Illustrator, and I doubt that it will resolve the problem as it seems to be an issue with my account rather than the installation of the application.

Any advice on fixing the problem would be appreciated.

Kind regards

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
You are absolutely right: if it work in one account but not the other, it's likely to be a prefs issue.
Adobe has a pretty sprawling load of prefs: not only are there folders for each app, but there is also a com.adobe.illustrator.plist type file.

I have often found that deleting the preferences for Bridge solves a lot of CS crashes.

ChocoboNL

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2008
Hi,
Thanks for the suggestions, no luck so far though. I have indeed deleted those pref files. Nothing changed. Also found a com.adobe.illustrator plist file in my main /library folder, so not my ~/library folder. No luck deleting it either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.