illustrator design

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by MattyK, May 21, 2008.

1. MattyK macrumors 6502a

MattyK

2. wallaby macrumors 6502

wallaby

A few suggestions for improvement:
    1. Never use lens flares.
    2. The type isn't very legible, let your letterforms suggest themselves a little more.
    3. Gradients are tough to master. Take a look at other works using gradients and study how they use them. This site has some tutorials showing gradient mesh in action.

Sorry to be harsh, I know you said it's your first. Keep trucking on!

3. JasonElise1983 macrumors 6502a

JasonElise1983

^
    ^
    ^never use lens flare...EVER!!!! (there is probably a few uses, but it's a good rule of thumb to not use it)

The gradients don't bother me, though they are a little harsh. Try doing things a little more subtle...and the "A" is little off lighting wise. It would be easier to make a coumpound path out of those shapes and use a radial gradient, and then position it to start there. It would looke more even.

Other than that...good first try at Illustrator. It's a tough app, with a lot of potential. It can do almost anything you could imagine...it's knowing where to draw the line. For every element you add to it...take an effect away. that's kind of my rule when working there. complex illustrations with complex effects rarely work out well, but i also love simple things.

-je

4. timimbo85 macrumors regular

timimbo85

Keep it up, the info stated above is great so listen to it. The only way you get good at these application is practice, there is a lot of trial and error . When designing think about your audience and view it from their angle. Don't take critiques the wrong way, and remember not everyone will like your work. ... and never use lens flare please

5. MattyK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MattyK

thanks guys
    but whats wrong with flare?
    i sorta just wanted a bright light in the middle of it to shine through, and that was really the only thing