Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MindBrain

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
Hello I was wondering if I have a CMYK illustrator file and then I embed an RBG tiff file in it, is the tiff file converted to CMYK? I've noticed after saving as PDF and then reopening the PDF in Illustrator that it says 2 color modes are being used. I would think if the Illustrator file is set to CMYK all graphics in it would be CMYK as well. Is this correct? Will there be any problem with printing? Thanks

semicharmed

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2005
New Orleans
Setting a document in Illustator to CMYK, and then importing/pasting a RGB image won't automatically convert the image to CMYK.
But in the filers menu, you can manually convert anything you've copied & pasted into CMYK. That should fix your problems with exports.

covisio

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2007
UK
Illustrator color modes

Or, when saving the document as PDF, make sure your output settings are set to "Convert to Destination". This will convert any RGB images to your destination profile.

MindBrain

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
Ok the job had already gone to print and I was worried about it but I saw the printed piece and it turned out ok. Either it got converted to CMYK somewhere along the line or it printed as RGB fine (since I noticed there was no color shift when going between RGB and CMYK in Photoshop. Not sure if this means that the colors in the graphic are such that it can print either way.) Not sure about this though.

Anyone know any good books or online guides that go into color profiles and the conversion options and such when saving as PDF? Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.